Friday, July 16, 2010

friday +/-

On the one hand, this was one of the longest weeks ever. On the other, I feel like I just wrote last Friday's +/- yesterday. Time is weird.

- I am getting really lazy about biking in the mornings. I'm supposed to do two rides, between 15 and 20 miles, during the week to supplement my century training. For the last two weeks, I did my long rides and spin class, and nothing else! I can blame it on weather and low visibility on the roads, headaches and that time of the month, but mostly I just haven't felt like it. I've been running instead, so it hasn't been a total wash, but still. I need to re-motivate myself, and fast!

- We saw Pauly Shore on Wednesday night. He wasn't really that funny - too many jokes about minories and blow jobs for my taste. (Come on - it's 2010. A bit about how Obama is - gasp! - black is just plain stupid.) That said, my expectations weren't high to begin with, and really - how often does Pauly Shore come to Nacogdoches? Exactly. I need to take advantage of these kinds of things when they happen.

- Because Pauly was less than hysterical, I was forced to make up the difference by drinking excessively. On a Wednesday night. Despite the fact that I am no longer 22 years old. Which means Thursday was less than stellar. Seriously, I get the most ridiculous hangovers now that I'm closing in on my late 20's. Has this happened to anyone else? More than two drinks, and I wake up sluggish and headachey. While I don't exactly miss the days of binge drinking until 4AM and then going to class at 9, my recovery time was downright impressive. Oh, maturity. How you've changed me!

And now for the +'s!

+ I'm slowly getting back into cooking at home. We went a whole week without going out for pizza or sushi, which is a very good thing.

+ Last week, we met a super nice couple at the bar while watching the World Cup finale. They came to kickball that night and on Tuesday, we met them at the Rec Center for a little rock climbing. I like making new friends and I hadn't climbed in over a year, so it was a win-win type of night. The fact that I made it to the top of a (very easy) route was pretty nice, too.

+ I've decided to re-take the Graduate Writing Workshop I took a few semesters ago. It's taught by my favorite professor, who encouraged me to sign up and promised that the readings would be completely different. When I tried to register, I had a weird flag on my account, and told the professor I'd have to take care of it first. Naturally, I procrastinated for about two weeks (even though the graduate office is literally 20 feet from my office door) and on Wednesday, my professor stopped by my office to tell me he took care of it for me and I was clear to register. I made sure to sign up right away, having learned my lesson about procrastination (you will be embarrased when someone finally just does it for you) and now I'm looking forward to a weekly writing workshop beginning at the end of August. Whew!

+ Have I mentioned that it's Friday and, as usual, I have an awesome weekend planned? Because it is, and I do. See y'all Monday with a full report!

6 comments:

  1. You win some, and lose some. Sounds as though this weekend is much needed, then a fresh start at a new week!
    I love meeting random people, too. =) And congrats on writing again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering that I've been either pregnant or breastfeeding for the past two years, I haven't done much drinking lately. I'm only 24 but I think it's safe to say that my tolerance/recovery time will be less than impressive when that time rolls around again. But don't get me wrong, I plan to have a case of ice cold Dos XX waiting for me after this baby girl gets here... we'll see how it goes :)_

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to do this on my blog all the time when it was like ...just mine. Hangovers are definitely tough once you get older, and I rarely drink anymore because I just don't like to make up for it in downtime or feeling like crud. However if I had to sit through Pauly Shore's less than funny attempt at reviving his career, I'd probably drink like a fish too!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely yes on the hangover thing! And the bad news is that it gets worse in your 30s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to know I'm not alone with the lowered tolerance for alcohol! Luckily, I don't drink in excess very often, and it's for this precise reason! I also find I drink wine much more slowly than beer, so if I know it's going to be a long night (a party, holiday or evening at the bar) then I often order red wine instead of chugging pitchers of cheap beer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once I hit 30, more than just drinking ability changed.

    Seriously. I woke up hurting all over on my 30th birthday and it hasn't stopped since :)

    Sorry....

    ReplyDelete