Monday, July 12, 2010

weekend adventures

 Avocado rolls are the way to a Chrissy's heart!

Every Monday, I awaken with the same question on my lips. "Already?" Yes. Already. Whoever decided the work week should be five days long and the weekend only two was a sadist.

Despite the injustice of having a two day weekend, I did manage to get a lot of things crammed in while actually relaxing - for about an hour, total. C'est la vie. I'll take what I can get!

Friday! After a particularly harrowing week at work for me, and a long day in the field for Nathan, we were more than ready to turn off our brains and decompress. This was accomplished by going out for sushi and then curling up in bed with the dog, my laptop, and a bottle of wine and, as Nathan put it, "Netflixing ourselves into oblivion." Oblivion came early, as we were both asleep by 9:30 PM. No complaints there - I slept like a rock and woke up Saturday morning at six, refreshed and ready to face the world!

Saturday! I made coffee and got my writing and editing done first thing, which felt great. I had grand plans to walk the dog with Nathan and then go to yoga, but the dog walk took longer than expected and I ended up missing class. Bollocks. On the bright side, we walked for nearly two hours. Humidity was about 99% - it was actually misting, which was the opposite of refreshing - and we walked to a bunch of yard sales in the neighborhood. I ended up scoring a copy of Vegan with a Vengeance for two dollars AND an awesome bike bag that hooks to my handlebars. Here's a photo of it in action on Sunday's long ride:

I also learned how to re-tape my handlebars. Yay for new skillz!

In the afternoon, a few of my finest lady friends stopped by to help me with a special project. On July 18th, my oldest Internet friends are getting married. Sadly, I'm not able to attend the wedding (it's in Pennsylvania) but when Finn put out a call for help, I was excited for the chance to pitch in. They're getting married in a barn, which I think is super cool, and then asked if anyone could cut out and mail to them paper leaves for decoration. Amy, Mary, Sonnie and I sketched and cut for about two hours, and now I have a nice box to mail to my friends. It may not be the most traditional wedding gift, and I'd much rather be there instead, but I'm glad my handiwork (and that of my Crafty Renegades) can be there in my place. I love weddings!



As if Saturday hadn't been lovely enough, Nathan and I went on a date in the evening. It was the second annual 12x12 art show downtown. Local artists each completed a peice of work, measuring 12x12, which were available for purchase. Patrons could preview the art all week and buy them for $250, or they could wait for Saturday night at 7PM, and snag their favorite piece for only $100. Waiting was risky, however, because everyone rushes the art at once. Nathan was able to grab our first choice, but I was beaten out by a woman who grabbed my second favorite piece seconds before I reached it. C'est la vie. We ended up getting another peice by a good friend, and all the money goes towards fine arts scholarships for local students, so I wasn't too upset.

The red nest and the blue brain are ours. That they are hung next to one another is a coincidence!

On Sunday, we woke early and set out for our weekly long ride, which gets longer every week as we build towards August's century bike ride. This week, we rode 53 miles - not much more distance than last week's ride, but this route had about 20 times as many hills. I'll give you more details about the ride later this week, but suffice to say that at the end my quads were toast - in a good way.

In addition to the long ride, I had a lot of other plans. Too many other plans, as it turns out. We got back from our ride at noon and showered and ate, then found ourselves at the bar at 1:30 for the World Cup finale. I was then supposed to go to the monthly Scrabble club meeting at 3, then make dinner, then go to kickball at 6 PM. While I made it to the end of the soccer game, I did not make it to Scrabble, and ended up taking a nap before going to kickball, purely as spectator/dog wrangler.

A belated Sunday Pupdate for y'all.

After kickball, we ordered a pizza, watched Arrested Development (we're almost done with the series - sad face) and fell into a well deserved and much needed sleep. Another great weekend in Nacogdoches! And another reason why weekends should always be three days long, minimum.

This week, I am determined to do the following: cook all meals at home (no sushi this week!), keep up with mid-week biking, write every day for 30 minutes, and remember to be grateful for all the good things in my life, even when things become overwhelming. So far, so good, and I hope you all had a great weekend/have a great week as well!

5 comments:

  1. Wow you had a busy weekend, but tons of fun nonetheless! I wish I could ride that far on a bike, but alas I don't even own a bike, so I'll just live vicariously through you!

    Another cute pup pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like such an awesome weekend! I, too, have participated in Netflixing til oblivion. Sometimes its necessary. :-) Such a cool wedding idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're wedding gift...from someone who has had to plan a wedding, take it from me, your time and creative skills is one of the best gifts ever. Awesome! Sounds like another great weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next weekend will be calmer. Maybe. Oh, who am I kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The work week IS too long, but it sounds like you make the most of the weekends....my fiance and I strive to do the same every week. Sometimes it gets tiring..but it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete