Friday, August 13, 2010

friday +/-

Happy Friday! This week has been both long and good (that's what she said!) and while I have enjoyed nearly all of it I am, as always, glad to see Friday's beautiful face. Here's your weekly run down.

Sunset at the park.

In the minus column:

- Still with the 112 degree heat and soupy humidity! I think this weather will rank number one on the minus list until October, when it finally abates. As I cull my list of MFA school candidates, I am definitely leaning towards those with more moderate climates. I don't know how many more Texas summers I can survive. Alas, it could be worse. I could be pregnant! (Friends, have those babies soon!)

- Calvin is still going through his crazy puppy stage. His nickname is Animal, which is very fitting. Lots of shoe stealing, nipping, peeing in the house, and play fighting with Seamus. And by lots, I mean non-stop. It's exhausting, but I know it will be worth it in the end. All I have to say is puppies are lucky they're so damn cute, otherwise dogs would have become extinct a long time ago.


Beautiful birthday bouquet from the lovely Mary T!

A very short minus list this week, which is what I like to see. On to the plus column!

+ My official birthday was Monday, but it managed to spill over through most of the week. I got a few more gifts in the mail (including beautiful handmade soap from Jen in Austin, who is the most thoughtful person in the world) and not one by two birthday lunches from lady friends and library friends, respectively. Good food and good company is the best way to start any year!

+ The blogging community. Y'all were so sweet and supportive about my decision to quit the Hotter'N'Hell. Thanks for helping me see that I made the right choice, and helping me realize that changing my plans doesn't make me a failure. I am feeling better about this decision every day!

+ Half marathon training has begun! This fall I am planning to run two half marys - the Tyler Half Marathon on October 10, and the San Antonio Rock'N'Roll Half Marathon on November 14. The Tyler Half will be more of a practice run - it's very hill and my only goal is to beat last year's time of 2:09. I would like to PR at the San Antonio race, which means I will have to run a 1:58 or better. This plan is subject to change depending on whether I get into the Houston Marathon, which will be announced this Tuesday. Cross your fingers! No matter what happens, I feel like I'm back on track, exercise-wise. I love running, I love the variety of workouts (tempo runs! speedwork! hills!) and I love that most of my training can be done in an hour or less. Running! You are the best!

+ Calvin is registered for Obedience Training Classes, which will start on the 24th. In the meantime, I emailed the instructor for advice on how to get Calvin to stop harassing Seamus. She said I was right to recognize this as annoying and typical puppy behavior, and to get him one of those toys in which you can squirrel away treats to keep him busy and distracted. We went to the pet store last night and I dropped $42.00 on dog toys. Yes, I was ashamed, and yes, I am a crazy dog lady, but you know what? It worked. We were able to watch season 4 of Battlestar Galactica in relative peace and quiet while Calvin busily worked at removing the treats and Seamus slept in sweet relief on the couch. I think this two dog family thing might work out after all.

+ Super fun weekend planned, including a comedy show tonight, a Literary Reading tomorrow, an 8 mile run on Sunday, and a double does of Mad Men. Does it get any better than this? Maybe, but for now this is more than enough.

How did your week pan out? What fun things do you have planned for the weekend? Whatever you do, I hope it's the best ever. Happy Friday!

5 comments:

  1. What a great week! John and I are headed to Kingwood to swim at his parents' house. The dog will be especially happy! We need to get Bowser some of those same treats; whenever he sees the cats playing with one of their toys, he decides HE wants to play with it and then he muscles it away from them. And that's just not fair. Maybe a treat toy will help with that.

    Good luck with the obedience training and let us know how it goes/if it's worth the dough.

    Have fun with your training - sounds like you still have an awesome schedule of events mapped out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To help alleviate any remaining fears about the two-dog situation: when we first got Turbo, after having Chani for a year, Turbo immediately took his place as Top Dog and wouldn't let Chani on the couch at all and growled anytime she got near. They still will only be on the same couch together if they're at opposite ends, but they quickly settled into their own roles quite nicely. Here's the thing: doggies gotta determine their own pecking order (err...barking order??) once that happens, all will be copacetic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like an awesome week in spite of the heat and humidity! Good luck with the obedience training! I have also spent ridiculous sums on toys and treats for Bailey, so either you're not crazy or we all are!

    We definitely have to meet up in San Antonio! I think you run faster than I do, but I would love to hang out before or after the race.

    I'm working and running today and tomorrow, but Sunday I'm going to the Twin Cities to do some exploring, thrifting, and brunching with other awesome bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Erica - We still need to have our dog date! I'll be around most of the weekend. And I will let you know how classes go!

    @Michael - Thanks for the advice! It's good to hear from someone who's been there. I've never lived with more than one dog before, so it's an adjustment.

    @La Historiadora - Yes, a SA meet up will be necessary! If I don't get into Houston, I *might* decide to run the full in San Antonio. It just seems too soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you using the same lady that Kellie used for obedience classes? Can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete