Tuesday, August 03, 2010

i like big butts!

I came across this ad today via The Frisky. The comments on the website range from people hating it to people loving it.


While I don't love everything about the text (herding skinny women away from the best deals at clothing stories? Um... okay) I do love the concept and the image. It's classy, it's a woman looking fit and fierce, it celebrates a part of the body that too many people (myself included) feel self-conscious about, and (if you don't mind me being vain for a moment) this is probably the closest approximation to my own body I've ever seen in an advertisement (though to be fair, my chest is much smaller!). At the very least, I think it's cool to see different representations of the human body in print, and celebrating the things that stick out (pun intended) is always a plus.

That's my two cents. What do you think?

12 comments:

  1. Interesting. Am I the only one thinking that that's not really a BIG butt? If that's big, I can't imagine what small looks like. Bravo to Nike to head in the direction of using real people in their advertising!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Christie - Yes, I guess this is a certain interpretation of the world "big." More like fit and big? But Nike is an athletic company, so it makes sense that they'd put a muscular woman in their ads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Finally, real women being featured in advertisements!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I applaud the attempt by Nike to expand the body types they use in advertising, but I have to say that I think the execution was a fail -- mainly because half the text is just ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @La Historiadora - I really don't like most of the text either, except for the part about kissing my ass. I know I could have come up with better text - might be fun to try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is interesting for sure!!! And it looks kind of like my body, too (well, I'd be minus the chest -- hahah). Anyway, I like the idea. Thanks for posting about this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like it, too. I did read the border collie sentence about a dozen times thinking ??? But overall, I think it's a nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy to see a woman in an ad who has shorter legs with thunder thighs like mine!!! AND a huge ass! Chrissy, I haven't seen you so exposed, but I think you have a longer athletic body type. This girl reminds me of me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This picture completely changed how I viewed myself. For the first time in a very LONG time, I no longer hate how I am built and I actually think that I'm kind of sexy and strong!

    I actually just blogged about this but I wanted to say thanks for reposting it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Martha - Did I find it through you? I do so much clicking I forget where I started. If so, thank you for posting it first!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Chrissy - Nope, not through me. :-) I forgot where I saw it originally, (probably Jezebel or something of that sort) but I was glad to see it again for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the idea also, but agree that her butt is not big. Juicy maybe? Hee hee. But then I guess a butt does not have to be fat to be big. This is all more thought than I have given butts in awhile. I don't pay a lot of attention to mine since it seems to do the job adequately and it is helping to hold my baby in there. Wait, it needs to stop doing that...

    ReplyDelete