Monday, August 02, 2010

the internet and eating, in graph form

The first item on my to-do list at the new job is to redesign our department's website. As I edit and re-write content, organize navigation, and spend way too long figuring out how to make a simple drop down menu in Dreamweaver, this recent xkcd comic hits especially close to home.


While it's true that I am fumbling towards web design, figuring things out as I go along and googling "how do I..." more than the average person, I do think I have an advantage when it comes to the Internet. You see, I am a librarian by trade, and being a librarian means understanding your users, knowing what they're looking for, how they're most likely to look for it, and how you can best present that information so they find it. While the website I'm making won't be the flashiest thing on the 'nets, it will be organized, easy to navigate, and pretty, and it will bring information to the people. Not quite a revolution, but close enough.

And speaking of charts and graphs, check out this one. While I knew I wasn't even close to average, this really shows me just how far from that reality I have come.


I would love to make a chart of my intake and see what percentage of my diet is fruits vegetables (probably 50% - maybe more!), carbs (I'd guess 30%), coffee and alcohol (5% for each). Again, these are guesses but surely there's some kind of diet chart generator out there. If I find it, I'll let you know. In the meantime - back to Dreamweaver!

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha, that graph about campus websites cracked me up. TOO TRUE!

    But the other one is just scary. People almost eat the same amount of dairy as fruits and vegetables combined!?!?! Hopefully I'm exhausted and just read that wrong...if not, blah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a crap-ton of dairy. And that xkcd comic is too true--I don't know if the world is ready for a college website with real information! :)

    ReplyDelete