Tuesday, August 03, 2010

recipe: kealy's chewy chocolate chip cookies


When I first moved to Texas, I was not impressed. I had no friends, a crappy job at a bookstore making $5.95 an hour, and Nathan was always going to classes or studying. The first thing I did to make myself happier was to adopt Seamus. This was a very good idea. The second thing? I decided to go to Nathan's yoga class at the college, even though I wasn't a student and even though I wasn't enrolled. Luckily, the teacher said it was fine, and even luckier is the fact that in that class, I met my friend Kealy.

 Kealy's daughter, Kealy, and myself in Oregon.

You might remember Kealy from spring break, when Nathan and I visited her in Oregon. I remember her for many things, not the least of which is this recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies. I love this recipe for three reasons. The first is that I almost always have all the ingredients on hand, so when I feel a hankering from some honest-to-goodness cookies, I can have them within 30 minutes, fresh from the oven. The second is that these cookies are chewy, which is my preferred texture. And finally, these lovely morsels remind me of my lovely friend Kealy, and that is always a good thing. (No worries - even if you don't know Kealy, you'll still like these cookies!)


Kealy's Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

You will need:

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 flax eggs (2 Tbsp of flax + 3 Tbsp of water. Whisk and let sit for three minutes.)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly oil baking sheets.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda,  and salt. Set aside.
3. In a second bowl, mix together the brown sugar, maple syrup, canola oil, flax egg, and vanilla, until the sugar is dissolved.
4. Add half the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until combined. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix again. Fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Drop the dough onto the baking sheets, about two inches apart.
6. Bake until golden brown, about 12-18 minutes.

9 comments:

  1. Those cookies look pretty darn satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg. i love how big those chocolate chips are! they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to try this THIS WEEKEND! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know...I don't know if I've ever eaten one of these cookies before. How is that possible??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hot chocolate chip cookies are one of my very favorite comfort foods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I will make them again this weekend. I will make enough to share!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made these. Will share results (love) once they cool! Mine didn't look this good though. Mine were slightly drier looking. I'm stoked!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They were my dinner and breakfast. mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! I have all the ingredients. Off to try these now!

    ReplyDelete