Wednesday, August 18, 2010

scooter commuter

As of Tuesday, I am the proud owner of a scooter!


If this seems sudden, it is, a little. About three weeks ago, Nathan said I should get a scooter. We're a one vehicle family, which was fine when we both worked at the college. Now that Nathan works across town, it's been a little harder, and he was feeling guilty about the fact that I have to ride my bike to and from work every day in the 107 degree heat, while he takes the car. A scooter, he reasoned, would be a perfect compromise in a town our size. I could zip to work and yoga and the grocery store with ease. Scooters are very fuel-friendly, not to mention fun! A perfect solution!


At first I resisted. "I am a bicycle commuter," I replied haughtily. But the more I thought about it, the more it seemed like a good idea. I could still bike whenever I wanted, but a scooter would give me more options, more freedom. A few days later, I tweeted that I was dreaming of a mint green scooter, to which my friend Sonnie replied that she was still selling hers. It was black, not green, but practically brand new and a damn good deal. I hemmed, I hawed, I wondered, I worried, and then - well, you can guess what happened next.


 Reader, I bought the scooter.

Before I can ride my little Mogi (mosquito in Korean - it's what Sonnie called the scooter, and what I shall continue to call her) I need to do a bunch of paperwork, get it registered, insured, and obtain a MOTORCYCLE LICENSE. Oh, yes. I am treading on the boundaries of bad ass territory, and it's a feeling that thrills. I did test drive it before sealing the deal, just up and down Sonnie's street, and even though I was a little nervous I did just fine. (Minus one little snafu that involved a curb, but who's counting?) Mostly, I'm excited to have a scooter, my own two motorized wheels, even though it means I'll only be a part time bicycle commuter. I can live with that, especially with a scooter this classy.


Thanks, Sonnie! Mogi sends her love. :)

10 comments:

  1. Aw. She looks happy and fantastic. :) I hope she gives you as much joy as she gave me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You will be the absolute cutest on a scooter! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I love the name of Mogi, although because of this post title I can't stop thinking "Mr. Chips." This scooter is definitely a lady though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy awesome!! I've always wanted a scooter, but I have no practical use for one. This is very exciting, enjoy buzzing around on your Mogi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! Enjoy your new ride! Mogi sure is dashing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, y'all! And just wait until you see the awesome helmets Sonnie threw in for free!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my goodness! She is beautiful! I really covet a scooter (although I've never even ridden one).

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a long term bike commuter, if my circumstances were similar to yours, I'd totally get a scooter. For now, I walk 9 blocks to work so I really can't justify it. But man would that be fun. Enjoy it and be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Duuuuude - you ARE a badass.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That scooter is awesome! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete