Thursday, September 30, 2010

graduation

We did it! We finished obedience training!


After five consecutive Tuesday nights of driving forty minutes, each way, to stand in a poorly lit parking lot for one hour, while practicing commands, walking on a leash, and not jumping on his classmates (which he accomplished with varying degrees of success) Calvin is now a bona fide graduate. Of course, this doesn't mean that our boy is perfect. Far from it, in fact - he is still an overly energetic, sock stealing and stubborn source of frustration and exhaustion. But he's also sweet, especially when he's tired, and when I call him he runs to me, full tilt, with that clumsy sidways gait of a dog who's legs are growing so fast his body can't keep up. He likes to sleep by my feet, and lean on me when I'm in the kitchen, and he's always happy to see me. He can sit, lay down, and shake paws on command, and he and Seamus have nearly torn the couch in half with their epic wrestling matches. In other words, Calvin is a puppy. A puppy with a diploma. A puppy with my love.


Good boy, Calvin!

6 comments:

  1. Yaaaaaaay! Go Calvin!

    Puppyhood is mega frustrating (Rhea peed ON the couch yesterday) but they are so worth it. And like giving birth, I think we are programmed to forget how difficult raising a puppy is because we always seem to be willing to do it all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. [wag wag wag]

    That picture is so adorable! Congrats on finishing the course! He's going to grow up from a good puppy to a great dog. I sometimes forget how unruly my dog was as a puppy because he's so easy to deal with now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Congratulations, Calvin!

    P.S. You won the giveaway I was hosting!

    ReplyDelete