Monday, September 20, 2010

weekend adventures

My weekend this time around was much calmer and much quieter than it has been in recent weeks. Which is good, since Nathan was at the tail-end of a cold and I caught the worst of it on Sunday night. (Consequently, I stayed home sick from work today - poor me.) I didn't take one photo this weekend, so I apologize in advance for a text heavy post!

I was already starting to feel congested on Friday, so I decided to skip my six mile tempo run and go straight home after work, which was a rare treat. Nathan and I took the dogs to the park and then made a pizza instead of going out for sushi (money = saved!). At the late hour of 9:00pm, we headed to campus to see Ironman II for $1.00 each (money = saved!). Despite missing the first 20 minutes of the film because the students working the desk told us it hadn't started yet when it was, in fact, playing in the theater, we were able to figure out was going on pretty quickly. Oh, the beauty of formulaic superhero action movies!

When I woke up on Saturday, I felt pretty good so I decided to go to yoga. We had a guest instructor from Longview who was teaching a 90 minute Vinyasa class, and I didn't want to miss it. While I love my yoga studio, I basically only take classes with one teacher (my friend Amy), and only practice Hatha yoga. Don't get me wrong - I adore my practice and consider myself very lucky to even have a local studio, but when given the chance for some variety, I take it! The class was really challenging and we did a bunch of new poses that I'd never attempted before, and I was very sore the next day, but in a good way.

I didn't do much else on Saturday until about 4pm, at which point I made a massive vegetable pot pie for the MRTs. Nathan and I took it to their place at dinner time and we ate with them while admiring their brand new son. At one point, I was sitting in a room with three women who were all actively nursing their children, and it was a little surreal. The human body is truly amazing.

After dinner with the new parents, we went to Nathan's co-worker's birthday party. When we got there, I saw that they had a large backyard and that there were three dogs partying hard in the grass. Since this co-worker was actually the one who originally rescued Calvin from Lanana Creek Trail, I asked if I could get my dogs and bring them over. They said yes, so I dashed home, grabbed the pups, and headed back to the party. The dogs were delighted and delightful, and we had a good time hanging out, drinking beer, and watching the dogs wear themselves out.

Sunday! Calvin and Seamus were still pooped, which meant we got to drink coffee in bed and finish Battlestar Galactica. I didn't mind the ending at all, and had sort of predicted the series finale, so that was satisfying. I was supposed to run 10 miles, but the cold which had been but an inkling the previous day fully bloomed and I was not feeling it. I even took a short nap around 4pm, and I am not a napper. I managed to make and eat dinner, and do a little homework, and blather incoherently on twitter, but by 9pm I felt like I'd been run over by a truck and went to bed with some hot tea. I didn't sleep well, despite Calvin snuggling with me (or maybe because of Calvin snuggling with me - he's been so affectionate lately!) and when the alarm went off at 6 I knew I was not going to work.

So today I'm home, catching up on reading, writing, and laundry, blowing my nose and hoping that this week I can run more than four miles. I hope you had a great weekend and that your week is off to an excellent start!

3 comments:

  1. Sitting here mouth breathing and wishing I could blow my nose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better now! I hate being sick. HATE IT.

    ReplyDelete