Tuesday, October 05, 2010

october writing goals & september recap


Despite being a surprisingly busy (and fast!) month, I managed to do pretty well with my September Writing Goals - at least with the most important ones. They were as follows:
  • Begin two writing workshops and submit stories for critiques. I submitted two different stories to my two different workshops. Both went over well and now I have lots of comments and suggestions to wade through and quite a bit of rewriting to do. For the second workshop (with some writing friends) we're planning to have a Skype conference call at the end of the month to discuss things in more detail, so that should be interesting. In the end, though, I completed this goal perfectly. Check!
  • Make a chart of deadlines, admission standards, and requirements. I have a very good looking chart in the Google Documents' version of Excel. I am applying to a total of 11 schools (gulp) and all of them fulfill most of my requirements. I would be thrilled to get into any of these schools, so right now there really isn't a number one (though clearly, Iowa would be a dream come true). Here's The List:
    • University of North Carolina-Greensboro
    • University of North Carolina-Wilmington
    • University of Virginia
    • Virginia Tech
    • Hollins University 
    • George Mason University
    • Colorado State University 
    • University of Iowa
    • University of Minnesota
    • Penn State
    • University of Missouri-St. Louis
    • Check!
  • Continue spending a few hours each Sunday at the coffee shop. Not even once. Oh, well. Fail.
  • Blog more about writing. Not especially, but I don't consider that a huge deal. I've been thinking about writing, but I haven't really had time to blog, period. Maybe this month will be better. Fail.
As for October (this is really turning into my monthly MFA goals, but that's my focus right now, as it should be!):
  • Decide which stories to include in MFA writing sample and then revise, revise, revise. Definitely the story that was published in LIT, but what else?
  • Being drafting personal statement. Too bad I can't just send them a link to my blog!
  • Study for the GRE. (November 17th - ugh) 
  • Contact professors for letters of recommendation and deliver them a list with deadlines. Per their request!
  • Decide if I want to pay Driftless House to critique my stories, and if so, send them my portfolio. Is it worth the money? I think so. Do I have the money? We'll find out.

    7 comments:

    1. Love the list! A ton are the ones I applied to two years ago--was it that long ago? whoa. I'd say skip Driftless Horse, but that's just me. I think they're cashing in on the application frenzy. Just submit what you think your best is and you'll be fine!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks for the input! I really appreciate it. And I am planning to email you more questions about Hollins & the area at some point, just so you know. ;)

      ReplyDelete
    3. Email me (amandadibart [at] gmail.com) about George Mason University...like I said, I don't know anything about the MFA program, but I lived in DC/VA for 6 years and attended school/taught at GMU for 4 years (plus 1 in LA...but I still interacted electronically with the school). Any questions you have, I'd be more than happy to answer!

      ReplyDelete
    4. This is a great list of schools and October writing goals! Good luck!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Cool pic - did you take it?

      I love how you write FAIL in big red letters next to the goals you weren't satisfied with. Give yourself a break. You have so much on track!

      ReplyDelete
    6. I like the bright red Fails. They don't make me feel badly - just too busy. And I did take the picture. It was originally a bad photo, and then I heavily edited it in Picnik.com. :)

      ReplyDelete
    7. You sound busy, alright! Good luck with your goals and applications!!!

      ReplyDelete