Tuesday, October 26, 2010

recipe: fudgey pumpkin brownies


Last night I was Internetting when I came across an interesting tidbit. According to a comment thread on a vegan forum (I can't remember which one - the Internet is a wild place!) someone said that a box of brownie mix + a 15oz can of pumpkin = the perfect vegan brownies. Naturally, I was intrigued. And, since I had both those ingredients in my cupboard, I decided to give it a shot.

Ingredients: 



It seemed too easy to be true, but I put my trust where it belongs - in the Internet, naturally. Poured the brownie mix into a bowl. Added the pumpkin. Began to mix the two together, ended up with what appeared to be pretty good looking brownie mix. Poured the mix into a glass pie plate (I don't have a square brownie pan - oh, the horror!) and baked according to the directions on the box.

Forty minutes later, I had brownies!



But how did they taste? One time I made black bean brownies, a recipe the Internet had raved about, and ended up tossing the whole pan of them - they were disgusting, and maybe my baking skills were to blame but I'm pretty sure the culprit was the can of black beans. Also, I am not a huge fan of pumpkin. Or brownies, for that matter. I prefer cupcakes and cookies and pie. So perhaps I am not the best judge of brownie recipes, which makes what I'm about to say even more important.

Y'all, these brownies were good!

The pumpkin is very subtle - you hardly notice it at all! My main complaint about vegan brownie recipes are that they are either too dense, too cake-like, or too oily. These brownies were none of the above. They were thick and fudgey with a super sweet, chocolaty flavor. Nathan actually asked if I said "brownie" when I mean to say "fudge," so if that's your thing than this recipe is a winner.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to do a six mile speed workout on the treadmill tonight and chocolate pumpkin brownies make excellent fuel. :)

PS: Don't forget to vote! I'm currently in 15th place!

15 comments:

  1. I'll have to try this. I like that it only takes two ingredients to make brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh....i love brownies, but most of all i LOVE pumpkin! must.try.asap!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you just became my favorite person in the world i love pumpkin and brownies so the fact that you have brought to my attention that i can mix the two put a smile on my face I will be trying this out tonight, thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. FUN! I know what I'm trying this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh hell yeah. My wife is a great cook, but she gets so frustrated with brownies as they always turn out cakey. I've resorted to calling them Crownies or Brakes. Regardless, she's also obsessed with pumpkin right now, so I think she will be VERY into this....thanks for the suggestion...cause as the taste-tester I benefit the most in this scenario!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't see that coming. So cool that you liked them. These seem fun and yummy to try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If anyone makes these, please let me know how they turn out! I get sort of paranoid when I review recipes because I feel like my likes/dislikes are super weird and unusual. One woman's delicious brownie could be another person's worst dessert ever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i made these for the trip to d.c. for the rally to restore sanity. they were a hit! i used the duncan hines fudgy brownie mix.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad they turned out well, and so jealous you got to go to the rally! I have the biggest crushes on Stewart and Colbert!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've made these and they are the best brownies i have ever had. i am not vegan either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent! So glad you liked them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you only put the mix and pumpkin? Or do you still add all the other ingredients that the box calls for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just two simple ingredients - mix and pumpkin. Nothing else! It's like magic! :)

      Delete