Wednesday, October 13, 2010

review: SPIbelt

When I was in Houston a few weeks ago, buying new sneakers at a fancy running store, I also picked up a SPIbelt which, I only just learned, stands for small personal item belt. I haven't decided yet if it's pronounced "SPY-belt" or "SPEE-belt," but I'm leaning towards "SPY" for the purpose of intrigue.

Anyway.

I decided to spring for the belt for a number of reasons. The first is that on long runs (10+) I like to bring some form of easy-to-digest liquid energy with me. My favorites are Clif Shots, preferably mocha flavored. Since they're in gel form, they don't require any chewing, offer the small bursts of energy necessary for marathon training, and are actually kind of delicious. However, carrying two or three gels in one hand for three hours can get pretty old. Enter: SPIbelt.

 Clearly, these are not my abs.

PROS: Small and discreet. The pouch part expands so you can fit a cell phone, three gels, and your house key inside the zippered area. The strap is stretchy, which minimizes bouncing (though I actually wear it higher, around my middle and over my shirt, because it does ride up a bit and why fight nature?). It comes in a variety of colors, for the fashion-minded. 

CONS: The SPIbelt is little more than a glorified fanny pack. HOWEVER, as someone who is waiting with bated breath for the day when fanny packs are back in style, I am totally okay with this. (What? Like you don't miss the days when you could carry your essentials in a snazzy, hands free pouch around your waist? Do you also hate kangaroos? That's what I thought.) Also, I'm afraid I'm in danger of becoming one of those runners who needs 14 different things in order to run three miles. So far, I have a SPIbelt and a Garmin and I think that's more than enough - for now, anyway.

VERDICT: I am a fan of the SPIbelt. So far, I've worn it on an 11 miler and in the Tyler Half Marathon, and both times it gave me little trouble, except for some adjusting here and there when my shirt started to ride up. A small price to pay for portability and something to hold me over until the fanny pack is back in full force. 

11 comments:

  1. Additional PRO: If you get the yellow one, you're basically wearing BATMAN'S UTILITY BELT! Epic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! Unfortunately, the only colors they had in stock were purple (blech) and black with a pink zipper. Despite my aversion to pink, I went with the latter. Yellow would have been awesome, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got this "fanny pack" by asics that doesn't jiggle when I run and I can carry WAY TOO MUCH stuff in. I love it:

    http://asicsamerica.com/products/product.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=240014144&TITLE_CATEGORY_ID=250001577&PARENT_CATEGORY_ID=250001541

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura - I like that one too! ALL HAIL THE FANNY PACK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think fanny packs are totally acceptable on runners. Not so much on the common tourist for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. STOP THIS! I can't afford the things I need and you keep making me want to buy more stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why don't you put the stuff in the pockets on the back of your jersey?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't really wear jerseys when I run - mostly just t-shirts and tanktops, and they don't have any pockets! I've looked for running shirts with pockets but they're mostly out of my price range, and I don't like running in my bike jersey. Gosh, I sound like a spoiled brat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to get one of these. My hydration belt is great for long runs, but on shorter runs I need something for my keys, ID, and some cash. My running outfits don't have pockets, except for one pair of leggings and I can't reasonably wear those every day (although I have made a good faith effort - STINKY!). Love the fanny pack!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You could pull anything off. <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. "do you also hate kangaroos?" hahhhahahaha alright I might be waiting for fanny packs to come back...

    ReplyDelete