Thursday, November 04, 2010

the 30 for 30 challenge


I have a confession to make: I am not a fashion blogger. I know, I know - you're shocked! With my penchant for t-shirts and cardigans, my mostly brown palate, and my permanently-stuck-in-the-awkward-stage hair, you'd think I was a shoo in for the catwalk. In reality, I'm a recovering librarian living in a land where the Wal-Marts, they are a plenty, and the vintage boutiques specialize in old irons.

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way: I have signed up for 30 for 30: A Closet Remix. This awesome Internet event is hosted by Kendi from Kendi Everyday (one of the best style blogs around - she's classy AND funny, and you should read her now). The rules are as follows:

1. Pick out 30 items from your closet. Shoes count, but accessories (jewelry, coats, tights, etc.) do not.

2. Remix the 30 items into 30 or more outfits. That's pretty self explanatory.

3. No shopping for 30 days. Easy enough.

This weekend, I'll choose my 30 articles of clothing and post them on Sunday night. And then, I will take a photo of my outfit remixes for the next month and post them here. One thing I've learned from fashion blogs is the importance of choosing items that can work well in three or more outfits. So many of my clothing pieces are one trick ponies, and I always wear This Shirt with Those Pants, never straying from the formula. I'm hoping this little exercise will force me to be creative with what I own and to find the potential in different combination, in the hopes of thinning out my wardrobe and doing more with less.

So that's the plan! Are you doing the 30 for 30 challenge? Do you consider yourself a fashion expert, a personal style guru, or are you like me - a lady who gravitates toward comfort over all else? Let me know and maybe together, we can discover this elusive thing called "style!"

11 comments:

  1. While I love everything fashion (especially style, shoes and acessories), I can't stand the definition "fashion blogger."
    I will be part of Kendi's 30 for 30 to prove that I can do it. See you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the preferred term? I am so out of the loop I don't know what name the genre prefers!

    And thanks for your comment! I'm nervous about the challenge so it's nice to hear from others who are doing it as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm doing it by default - I probably only own about 30 items and wear the same things over and over...But it sounds like a good idea for being more creative in what you wear and how you wear things, and so I can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too wear the same things over and over, but I still have a buttload of clothes. Coincidentally, I set a goal to cut my closet in half by the end of the year, and while this would help, I don't know if I can psych myself up to post my ugly clothes on my egotistical blog. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a librarian? That's my dream job...and I'm doing for 30 for 30 challenge too! :)
    www.selectedtreasures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey ST! I actually *was* a librarian, up until this past June. Then I got a job across campus in the grants office. But I'm still a librarian at heart, and might go back to the library one day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The idea of this sends me into a tailsping...only 30 items for 30 days...I know this probably means I *should* do this. Hm, I will consider carefully!

    Wait, I just considered...I probably only wear 30 things on a regular basis. Means I should be pruning my closet, one of my most favorite activities!

    ReplyDelete
  8. EXACTLY! I know I have more than 30 things, and I know I wear a fraction of them. At the end of this month, I want to own less, but know how to work better with what's leftover.

    ReplyDelete
  9. cool, i'm looking forward to your pic(k)s. i, too, hardly have any clothes (at least with me right now). but maybe i'll post some outift pics this month. -finn

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't consider myself an "expert." But I do consider myself to have a well-developed sense of style, and it's become even more developed in the past year and change since I started style blogging.

    I'm glad you'll be participating! I am, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hello fellow 30 for 30 remixer! good luck, i look forward to following your mixes! :)

    ReplyDelete