Friday, November 12, 2010

friday +/-


The biggest bad news of this week is, like most minuses, only bad on the surface. Nathan and I have made the tough and last minute decision to skip the San Antonio Marathon and Half Marathon. Nathan is registered for the full and I am for the half, but two weeks ago Nathan hurt his leg (we're 90% sure it's a stress fracture) so he wasn't going to be able to run Sunday's race. I was still going to do the half, but then I found out I'm a finalist for the Good Mood Blogger gig (which is a huge ++++!) and my video for phase two is due... next week! Also next week? The GRE, as well as all my looming MFA applications. So, while I'm sad that we'll be missing out on the race and not getting any of our money back (REALLY sad about that) I know we made the right decision in the long run. There will be other races (Houston in January, and the Davy Crockett Bear Chase in April), and there's no way I'm ever studying for another GRE test again, ever.


I've already covered some of the +'s of the week above, but they bear repeating.

+ After a feverish round of voting and a last minute, desperate plea to everyone I know on Tuesday night, my place in the top 20 of the Good Mood Blogger contest was secured! Whew! I'm now looking forward to making a video and hopefully winning this awesome job. :)

+ Nathan and I had a quiet, but lovely, anniversary evening. Plus we're still taking Monday off, so I'm looking at a three day weekend with my love. Can't beat that!

+ Since we'll be in town this weekend, we can go to the screening of Rainbows End, a movie made by and starring some local characters. Check out the trailer - it looks awesome!


Rainbows End Trailer from Alonestar Films on Vimeo.

+ I'm really enjoying the 30 for 30 challenge so far! Suddenly, getting dressed in the morning is an adventure instead of a chore, and y'all have been so sweet and encouraging. So thank you for that!

All in all, it's been a pretty kick ass week. I hope you can say the same, and that we all have an equally awesome weekend. See you soon!

6 comments:

  1. Oh. My. God. I remember one of those guys. I still think he needs professional help. Seems like everyone is still feeding his disillusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sad you won't be in San Antonio this weekend, but I hope Nathan is healing well and good luck on the video! Yay for making it to the next round!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a bummer you guys couldn't make San Antonio, and again I'm really sorry about Nathan's injury!

    Good luck with this next round of competition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to skip the R&R Half this weekend too because work sent me to New York City for free (whee!). But this coming weekend, I'm running the Dirty Du Half Marathon on the 20th instead. It's a trail run, halfway between Houston and Austin at Rocky Hill Ranch. There is also a 5K and a 5K/12 mile/5K duathlon that gives the event it's name.

    I know you guys like to camp, and since you're presumably already trained up for a half you might consider it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it sucks to pull out of a race (especially losing that entry fee! boo!) but it sound like the right decision. sometimes focusing on doing less but doing that well is best.

    And happy belated anniversary!! And yay for being a finalist in the Good Mood Blogger contest!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice blog! I like your writing way. I'm doing practice GRE here: masteryourgre.com . I hope it's useful for GRE test takers.

    ReplyDelete