Thursday, November 25, 2010

on gratitude

“Develop an attitude of gratitude, and give thanks for everything that happens to you, knowing that every step forward is a step toward achieving something bigger and better than your current situation.” ~ Brian Tracy 
Happy Thanksgiving to all my American readers! We're busy preparing for our camping trip, keeping an eye on the falling temperatures (gulp!) and the rainstorms (double gulp!) while trying to explain to Calvin that he will soon be sleeping on the ground, with us, in a tent (confusing!). 

Since it's Thanksgiving, I thought it would be proper to take a moment and list some of the things for which I'm feeling especially grateful this year. They are listed below, in no particular order.

My health. The ability to run a marathon, bend my body in yoga, walk my dogs and otherwise enjoy all the world has to offer while feeling happy, whole and free of any disease or illness.

My family. They are crazy and they are mine. I wish we could be closer together - especially during the holidays - but knowing they'll be a part of my life no matter what is one of life's best truths.

Nathan. I'm so proud of the relationship we've nurtured and the life we've built together, and I know how lucky I am to have found the perfect (for me) partner so early in life.

Seamus and Calvin. Puppy love fixes everything. 


A great job, working with awesome people. I've had some ups and downs in the career area of my life, but I finally feel settled in my new position and confident that I'm contributing my talents in a meaningful way. Plus, I HAVE a job, and in this economy that is enough to be earn my gratitude, period.
“After sleeping through a hundred million centuries we have finally opened our eyes on a sumptuous planet, sparkling with color, bountiful with life. Within decades we must close our eyes again. Isn’t it a noble, an enlightened way of spending our brief time in the sun, to work at understanding the universe and how we have come to wake up in it? This is how I answer when I am asked—as I am surprisingly often—why I bother to get up in the mornings.” ~ Richard Dawkins
My friends. Near and far, I've got some of the best. And I love that they're beginning to multiply, creating all kinds of new, miniature friends for me to fawn over and adore! (That was a clever way of saying babies, in case you didn't catch it.) Speaking of babies, I'm grateful for all the healthy, happy ones that have been born in the last few years, and for the fact that my friends are turning out to be awesome parents. The future looks bright!

My community. I'm talking about you, sitting there, reading these words. I don't care if I know you or not, if you've ever commented or just lurked, if this is your first or last time reading my blog (though I hope it's not the last!). I'm grateful for the chance to ramble here, freely, and for the friendships I've formed through writing and reading on the Internet.
Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving." ~ W.T. Purkiser
Happy thanksgiving, where ever you are! Now I'm off to gratefully enjoy a long weekend. Regular posting will resume on Monday. Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment