Wednesday, November 10, 2010

race report: speak up for kids casa 5k


After spending the last few days reading super exciting race recaps from the New York City Marathon, I feel a little silly writing a report on the 5K I did on Saturday. But my reports are for me as much as they are for you - I like having a record of my running history, and deep down I do believe that every race is a challenge and an accomplishment, whether it's 3.1 miles or 26.2.

(Originally, Nathan and I were both going to run this 5K, as it was local and we try to run every local race we can. Unfortunately, Nathan is injured. We're not sure what exactly is wrong, but he thinks he might have a stress fracture. As he was planning to run the San Antonio marathon this Sunday, this is a pretty sucky situation. Cross your fingers that he heals fast!)

On race morning, I got up at 6:45 and ate toast with almond butter and a glass of almond milk. I like almonds, in case you couldn't tell. Then I took the dogs on a quick walk and when I got back to the house, Nathan and I rushed out the door and to Pecan Park. We got to the starting line at about 7:40, which was perfect since I still had to register. Registered, put my bib on, and then looked around. Hm, we thought. This sure is a small race. And it's 7:55 - wonder why no one is lining up yet? Strange.

Turns out the race didn't start at 8:00am like the website said. It actually started at 8:45. And did I mention it was about 34 degrees? By the time I actually started running, my toes were numb. Don't worry - they thawed by mile two. :)

I had sort of hoped to break my 5K PR in this race, which is 25:17. Even though I kept a very steady pace and ran as fast as I could, I still finished in 26:05 - even slower than the 5K I did a few weeks ago! Very frustrating, since I've been suffering through speed work yet I'm slower than I was last year. Not really sure why I'm not getting faster, but I guess I'll just keep trying.

No PR aside, this was a really good race. I liked the course - half of it was on Lanana Creek Trail, which is one of my favorite places in town to run - and there was a good number of folks in attendance, many of which I knew. Also, CASA is a great organization and I was glad to donate to their cause. I will definitely run this race again next year, and who knows - maybe I'll finally break 25 minutes! ;)

That 13 year old kid pulled ahead of me right at the finish line. Luckily, he was not in my age group.

1 comment:

  1. Cool! I did this race last year. My mum, uncle, and sis came in to town and ran it too! But I Totally forgot about it this year. :-\

    ReplyDelete