Tuesday, November 23, 2010

recipe: sweet potato casserole

Sweet potatoes at the Farmers' Market.

This will probably be my only Thanksgiving recipe post this year, but don't worry - it's a good one!

Years ago, Nathan's mom served a sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving. I had never had this dish before, but after one bite I was sold - sweet and velvety, and topped with crunchy, nutty pecans. I asked her for the recipe and she sent it to me, at which point my heart sank. Her recipe wasn't even close to vegan, and used canned sweet potato. This was a travesty, but surely I could set things right.

After hunting around, I found a very good recipe on Fat Free Vegan. As SusanV says, "This isn’t a fat-free recipe, though it does have less fat than other recipes of its kind," and that's fine with me. I made a number of changes to the ingredient list, but followed Susan's directions for preparing and baking. Therefore, my changes are listed below and you visit her (awesome, amazing and delicious) website to see how it comes together.

While this may look like a daunting recipe, fear not! It actually comes together fairly quickly and while it bakes for about 40 minutes in the oven, you'll have plenty of time to clean up the kitchen, make another side dish, or polish off a glass of wine. Maybe even all three, if you're as talented as I am! ;)

 Delicious and (semi)nutritious!

Ingredients: 
5 large sweet potatoes, peeled, chopped and boiled until soft
2 tablespoons Earth Balance
1/4 cup almond milk
1/4 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup agave nectar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon


Topping:
1/4 cup Earth Balance
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup unbleached white flour
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
2 tablespoons agave nectar

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! Can u tell me how many degrees to bake it for & what pan size to use? Thx!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The directions are listed here: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/12/sweet-potato-casserole-with-pecan.html

      Delete