Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 Resolution Recap

Still working on my goals for 2011, but in the meantime I thought it was time to review the past year and see how I did. I made ten goals for oh ten, and while I didn't quite achieve all of them, I feel pretty good about the progress I made.

1. Goal One: Get Published. Yes I did! My short story "A Good Enough Town" was published in the summer issue of LIT Magazine. This is the accomplishment of which I am most proud for 2010, and maybe for my whole life. 

2. Goal Two: Run a Marathon. Yes I did! Austin Marathon on February 14th, 2010. The second thing of which I am most proud!

3. Goal Three: Complete a Century Ride. No, I did not. If you were reading this summer, you might remember the months of emotional angst I suffered on my bicycle while training for the Hotter'N'Hell 100. Ultimately, I decided to back out of the ride and it was for the best. I learned that not every goal is worth completing, and that I do not, at this point in my life, have the time and energy that a century demands.

4. Goal Four: Cook (almost) every recipe in Veganomicon. No, I did not. I would estimate that I've cooked about 50% of the recipes. (It's a big book!) I was doing pretty well but then I lost steam. I also started cooking simpler meals, especially over the summer and during the fall when I was ridiculously busy. I do think I experimented more than I would have without this goal, so that's a plus.

5. Goal Five: Have at Least One Adventure Per Month: Yes, I did! Sure, it depends on your definition of "adventure" but I think 2010 was pretty exciting. I'll do a better recap later, when I look back on the whole year, but I think this goal was met.

6. Goal Six: Get Finances Under Control Once and For All. Eh. I did and I didn't. My credit card is very nearly paid off, and I've been better about saving money. My spending is under control, and I live within my means, but the future is still pretty shaky. That's what 2011 will be for!

7. Goal Seven: Clear the clutter from my home, my life, and my living areas. Yes I did! Not only did Nathan and I have a yard sale and get rid of a ton of junk, but we also reduced our furniture, clothing and kitchen gadgets. We are so organized and have so much less STUFF, and it feels so good! Now, we just have to keep it up!

8. Goal Eight: Learn to Brew Beer. No, we did not. That's two years this has been a goal, and two years that I still haven't done it. I'm just going to stop putting it on my list. Maybe then it will actually happen!

9. Goal Nine: Discover and Embrace My Personal Style. Yes, I did. It turns out my style is pretty simple, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. The 30 for 30 challenge (even though I didn't finish it) really opened my eyes to the things I already have in my closet, and forced me to be more creative and a more brave with my sartorial choices. I feel good about the way I look (most days) and that's a nice feeling!

10. Goal Ten: Read 25 book by 2011. No, I did not. I only read 14! Even less than 2009! This is perhaps my biggest disappointment for the year, and I'm hoping to change it in 2011.

Overall, I'm happy with the progress I made, the adventures I had, and the things I accomplished. How did you do in 2010? Was it a good year, or are you glad to see it go? Even though 2010 was a good year, I'm looking forward to a fresh start in 2011. Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment