Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Yoga Saves the Day


Holiday stress is starting to get to me. We're going to Illinois for five days, which isn't that long, but anytime I have to leave my home, my comforts and my routine, I get a little antsy. It's not that I don't love adventure and travel - I do! And once the adventure is underway, I'm fine. It's the just the preparation that drives me crazy. Add to that the rush to get all my Christmas gifts wrapped and mailed, and my holiday cards written and sent, and my baking done and delivered - well, it's been a rough few days.

It doesn't help that I'm at the point in marathon training where running begins to feel like a chore. My legs are always tired and I've been resting instead of cross training, plus I feel like I've gained a few pounds. Gaining weight during marathon training isn't uncommon and it's not noticeable to anyone but me (I hope, anyway), plus I know it's only temporary. But when your favorite pants are a little tight, you can't help but feel grumpy. 

Clearly, I needed an antidote to all this stress and that antidote? Yoga. Especially when the class is at 9:00 am on a week day and taught by one of my favorite guest instructors, forcing me to take an early "lunch" so I can sneak away for an hour to get my stretch on. That's what I did this morning and it was glorious. I usually go to the same class (Hatha Advanced) with the same instructor (Amy, one of my best friends) at the same time (5:30pm) and I love the certainty and discipline of the practice (home! comfort! routine!). But every now and then, a class in the middle of the morning while I should be at work, with a new voice leading me through movements and unfamiliar music pumping through the studio, is exactly the change needed to pull me out of my rut and help the stress melt away.

Now I'm back at my desk, eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and thinking of all the things I still have to do before we leave. Except now, I know they'll get done. They always do.

No comments:

Post a Comment