Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Baked Leek and Sweet Potato Gratin


If given the very difficult task of narrowing down my top five favorite vegetables, I would have to go with the following: broccoli, brussel sprouts, red peppers, green peas and sweet potatoes.

When it comes to sweet potatoes, I'm not very creative. I usually just peel, chop and roast them with a little olive oil and salt. Sometimes I make sweet potato casserole. On very rare occasions, I mash them. But mostly, I stick to roasting.  So when I came across this recipe for baked leek and sweet potato gratin in the latest issue of Vegetarian Times, I knew I had to try it.

For such a pretty dish, it was surprisingly easy to make. There was lots of downtime while it was in the oven, which I always appreciate, and when we finally sat down to dinner, I found that the gratin was both delicate and flavorful - different than most recipes I make, but in a good way. My only gripe is that the magazine suggested pairing the gratin with a green salad for a meal, which we did. In the future, I think I'll serve this with something a little more filling - a rustic stew or a black bean soup. This would also make a great side dish for Thanksgiving, so at the very least, bookmark it until November!

Now, to find a new, innovative, impressive, exciting and easy way to prepare broccoli...


Baked Leek and Sweet Potato Gratin
from Vegetarian Times

You will need: 
1.5 Tbsp olive oil, divided
3 medium leeks, white and light green parts chopped (6 cups)
3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbsp)
3 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary, divided
2 medium sweet potatoes (2 lbs), peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
1/3 cup low sodium vegetable broth
3 Tbsp Italian seasoned breadcrumbs


Directions: 
Preheat oven to 450F. Coat a 10-inch round casserole dish with cooking spray.

Heat 1 Tbsp oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks, garlic and 1.5 Tbsp rosemary; saute 8 minutes, or until softened. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Arrange one third sweet potato slices over bottom of prepared casserole, overlapping slightly. Spread half of leek mixture on top. Arrange another one-third sweet potato slices over leeks; top with remaining leeks, followed by remaining sweet potatoes. Drizzle broth over top, cover pan with foil, and bake 35 minutes.

Stir together breadcrumbs, remaining 1.5 tsp oil, and remaining 1.5 Tbsp rosemary in a small bowl. Remove foil from gratin and sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture. Bake, uncovered, for another 15 minutes or until breadcrumbs are browned and crisp. Let gratin cool slightly before cutting into 8 wedges.

Per slice: 143 calories; 3 g protein; 3 g total fat; (<1 g sat fat); 28 g carbs; 0 mg chol; 111 mg sodium; 4 g fiber; 8 g sugars. 

14 comments:

  1. Oh yum! This looks like a great sweet/savory combination. I will definitely have to file it under recipes to try out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous-looking recipe! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet potatoes are probably my #1. I'm ALWAYS looking for new ways to prepare them. This looks sooo good!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good! I love sweet potatoes but I'll have to make this for some guests - the husband is not a fan of them :(

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful casserole! I'm totally digging the leek-sweet potato combo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chrissy, Chip just sent me an email with a link to this... I think it's safe to say that he would like me to cook this sooner rather than later! Thanks for the post, it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a leek, sweet potato, and yukon gold layered gratin that we do about every other family holiday get together. I would like to try a slight variation like this one though, as it has become quite a beloved combo in my family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet and savory is right! A yummy surprise in your mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boo to picky husbands! But yay to making fun things for dinner parties and guests. I do the same thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Christy! I hope y'all like it. Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, that sounds good too! This was my first time making a gratin. I'm excited for the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Because I just can't control my juvenile mind...

    That's what she said!

    ReplyDelete
  13. HA! I almost didn't type that, but then decided I could giggle to myself. Glad you joined in! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Leeks, one of the best and most ignored veggies ever.

    ReplyDelete