Monday, January 24, 2011

A Balanced Weekend

Happy Monday, friends! I hope you had a good weekend and that your work day is off to a mostly painless start. I'm feeling good this morning, and I owe it all to my weekend.


I woke up early on Saturday and took the dogs for a brisk walk, then hightailed it to yoga for a 90 minute class. I love the longer classes on the weekend (during the week, all my classes are an hour) and this one was no exception. I worked on my handstand (another mini-resolution for 2011), held side crow for about four breaths, and got into a new bind. These are all things I could not do a year ago, and seeing myself progress as a yogi-in-training is really fun and rewarding. After class I had coffee at Java Jacks with a few of my fellow yoga-loving girlfriends, which is becoming quite the nice routine.

I spent the rest of the day getting ready for the Literary Reading that Amy and I host at the yoga studio every other month. We ended up with about 50 attendees over the course of the night, which is pretty normal. In the past we've always had eight readers scheduled, but this time I decided to experiment with six. Listening to people read their work requires a lot of concentration, and it seemed that eight was pushing the envelope on attention spans. I asked folks to tell me what they thought of the new format after the reading and I heard nothing but good things. So six readers it is, and six it will be! 




(Above: Dayna and Brent, rocking poetry and prose respectively. Also, I finally downloaded the Instagram app for my iPhone. It's a pretty awesome way to take a crappy cell phone photo and turn it into something blog worthy. Free, too!)

After the busyness of Saturday, Sunday was a welcomed change of pace. Highlights included an eight mile mid-morning run at a 9:37 pace. I had planned to run closer to ten minute miles but Amy joined me for the first half of the run and I always end up running faster when I'm with her. (In related news, SIX DAYS UNTIL THE MARATHON!) After the run I took a hot shower and had an awesome lunch - two (locally raised and happy) fried eggs on whole wheat toast and a glass of fresh juice, compliments of my new juicer. The juice contained 3 carrots, 1 stalk of celery, an apple, and a chunk of ginger. I've never been a big fan of juice but since I started making my own I've fallen in love. I feel so healthy every time I drink one and the combinations are endless. Full review of my juicer coming soon!


I spent the rest of the afternoon working on a short story. I'd been stuck for a while on some revisions, but after hearing everyone read the night before I felt inspired and ended up adding a new section and making some pretty deep edits. My 30 minutes of daily writing turned into an hour, and I'm much happier with where the story is heading. I'm hoping it will be submission-ready in a week or two. I have about four stories that I've been working on for the last year and my current goal is to finally finish each of them and send them off to literary journals and/or contests before starting anything new. I have a bad habit of writing drafts, editing them for a few weeks, and then putting them aside to look at later, with fresh eyes. Except later hardly ever happens - I get distracted by new ideas and the old stories wither away on my desktop. No more! From now on, I will not rest until every story has a home (or is at least in the market for a home).

Overall, a very good, productive and yet relaxing weekend. I think the key ingredient here is balance - I worked out, but I also rested. I hosted a big social event, but I also had some quality alone time. I ate cookies for dinner on Saturday, but I drank fresh juice and made a super healthy vegan lasagna on Sunday. I ended the weekend feeling rested, renewed and ready for the next adventure. I hope your weekend was just as good!

No comments:

Post a Comment