Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Gingerbread Waffles


I love breakfast. I would estimate that, from the age of ten, 90% of my breakfasts (and I eat one every. single. day.) has been cereal and milk. When I was seventeen, that became cereal and soymilk. These days, it's cereal and almond milk. The brand of cereal varies, but not much. And when I say I love breakfast, I am including my countless bowls of cereal. I know the whole Internet is in love with oatmeal, but I just can't get on board. Cold cereal and almond milk is where it's at.

But every now and then, even a die-hard cereal lover needs something different. Special. On weekends, I try to make either pancakes or waffles. We usually go for blueberry pancakes, simply because the waffle iron (which I scored at a yard sale!) is a pain to clean. This past Sunday morning, however, begged for waffles. When we woke up, we discovered that a cold front had moved in and it was a freezing 30 degrees with rain pouring down. Nothing to do pop open a bottle of champagne left over from New Year's, pour some mimosas, and make a batch of gingerbread waffles.


These babies fit the bill perfectly. Sweet and dense, with real ginger grated into the mix, they hit the spot and left us full and ready to greet the day - or sit in our bathrobes until 2pm, nursing our drinks and watching movies. Either way, it was a great day. Also, if you can restrain yourself and not eat all the waffles in one sitting (which, trust me, is no easy feat) they freeze beautifully and can be heated up during the week for a quick breakfast before you head off to work. Enjoy!

Gingerbread Waffles
(adapted from Vegan Brunch; original recipe found here)

You will need: 
2 cups almond milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons canola oil
¼ cup pure maple syrup
½ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2-inch knob ginger, peeled and
grated (about 3 tablespoons)
2¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1½ teaspoons cinnamon
Cooking spray

Directions: 
Preheat your waffle iron.

In a large mixing bowl use a fork to vigorously mix together milk, vinegar, oil, maple syrup, brown sugar, and vanilla. Mix until the maple syrup and brown sugar are dissolved. 

Mix in the grated ginger. (I used my microplane zester to grate ginger - works like a charm! A cheese grater also works well.)

Add remaining dry ingredients and mix together until smooth. Spray the waffle iron with cooking spray and cook waffles according to manufacturer’s directions.

2 comments:

  1. I made these this morning and substituted a cup of pumpkin purree for half the soy milk. They were delicious. Thank you for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Pumpkin waffles sounds like a great substitution. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete