Friday, January 07, 2011

Making Mini-Resolutions

I chose this photo because I thought perhaps the rooster was pointing the way to a better life, and perhaps that fit the theme of this post. In related news, I'm so glad it's Friday.

In addition to my 2011 Plan of Attack, I've been making some mini-resolutions - little changes in my routine and adjustments in my attitude that are already making a big difference in my life. Which is good, because this hasn't been the easiest week. Let's just say that returning to my 8-5 office life after ten days of vacation requires an adjustment period. And while a lot of my goals for 2011 are long term (meaning I can't just start them all at once and smugly revel in my immediate transformation) my mini-resolutions have been holding me over in the meantime.

  •  Walk the dogs when I go home for lunch. I get an hour break and I live less than a mile from the university, so I usually go home for lunch anyway. Every day this week, I've eaten my lunch in fifteen minutes, taken the dogs on a 30 minute walk, and made it back to my desk with time to spare. The dogs love it, moving around in the middle of the day is better than coffee (well, almost), and everyone is a little less crazy in the evenings. Even if I don't do this every day, I'm going to make an effort to do it at least three times a week.

  • Don't procrastinate on anything that takes less than five minutes. I didn't invent this one, but I believe in it's power! I've been adding small things to my Task bar in Google Calendar (call for GRE scores, finish yoga newsletter, pay water bill) and every time I have a spare few minutes, I glance at my list to see if there's anything I can check off. And I have checked off a lot! Also, the less you procrastinate, the less guilt you feel in the long run. Who would've thought?!

  • Balance my checkbook. I am terrible about this. Excuse me. I WAS terrible about this. I downloaded an iPhone app called Pennies and it is revolutionizing the way I spend and save my money. At the very least, keeping track of my cash is holding me accountable. Having to write down my impulse purchases from Amazon makes me more wary about wantonly clicking "buy now." This is a good thing. (The app is 2.99, which causes some people to balk, but you know what? Someone DESIGNED a COMPUTER PROGRAM that will CHANGE YOUR LIFE. Surely this is worth at least as much as a soy latte from Starbucks? Perspective, people. Get some.)

  • Unsubscribe, unsubscribe, unsubscribe. I don't know how I ended up on some of these email lists, but I do know how good it feels to click "unsubscribe." Especially clothing stores, especially since I've vowed to go a year without buying any new apparel. Oh, what's that? You're having a 70% sale on all winter items? I don't care! (It's not true. I do care, which is why I need to unsubscribe from these mailing lists before I fail this year-long challenge in the middle of week two.)
That sums up my week, in a roundabout sort of way. How did the first week of Oh'leven go for you? Did you kick ass at your goals and tell your resolutions who's boss, or are you starting slowly like me? Either way, progress is progress, and Friday is Friday. Have a happy one!

No comments:

Post a Comment