Friday, January 28, 2011

Weekly +/-

A quick one this week, since I'm finishing things up at work and getting ready to leave for Houston this evening!

- The current forecast for Sunday - also know as MARATHON DAY - is a 60% chance of scattered thunderstorms. At least it won't be cold - the temperature is predicted to be a low of 55 and a high of 72. I've never run a race in the rain before and I'm mostly concerned with the potential for blisters. Obviously we plan to run no matter what, but thunderstorms could affect my ability to reach my marathon goal. Fingers crossed that the weather holds off until the afternoon!

- Taper is weird. I keep thinking I'm about to get sick and I feel extra tired and slow, even though my mileage has been minimal. Today I ran an easy three miles on a familiar route and I literally do not remember running mile two. Marathon training is messing with my brain.

- While I loved hearing about everyone's pet's weird habits, I am sad to report that progress for Seamus has been slow. He has been drinking the minimum amount of water and I had to break down and give him a bowl. I'm still holding out that he'll overcome his fear of the bubbler, though. Will keep you all updated! 

And now for my favorite part - the plus list! 

+ I'm about halfway through I Am Charlotte Simmons and I'm really into the book. I still can't decide how much I like it - it's hard to love a book where every character is insufferable - but I can't put it down, so that's a good sign. Plus it's really nice to be deep into a novel again. My last few reads were all nonfiction and short story, so this is a much needed change of pace. 

+ Kendi Everyday's next 30 for 30 Challenge starts next week. I am determined to finish the challenge this time around and in preparation, I have already re-organized my closet and started choosing my items. I'll post them all next week, along with daily outfits. Excited? I am!

+ While in Houston for the marathon, we'll be staying with two good friends from Nacogdoches who are doing a stint in the Big City for an internship. Perfect timing, and a great excuse to spend an extra night in one of my favorite places, with some of my favorite people.

+ The last few nights I have woken to Calvin stretched out beside me, with his head resting in the crook of my arm. It is so sweet and cuddle-icious that it almost makes up for the fact that Nathan and I are uncomfortably crammed together on the other side of our too small bed. (Nathan might say otherwise.)

A good week overall, despite the fact that I've had the possibility of a rainy marathon weighing on my mind. No matter what happens I know the race will be an adventure, and I know I'll be back on Monday to tell you all about it. Until then!

14 comments:

  1. No matter what, it will be a unique marathon experience! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck this weekend! I've done two marathons and the week before is nerve-racking. I too become obsessed with the weather and paranoid if I'm getting sick. You'll have so much fun though. It's such a phenomenal experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll keep my fingers crossed you get to stay dry during your marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope it doesn't rain too much! I guess just slather on the Body Glide to keep blister free. Can't wait to hear about it - go get 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BEST OF LUCK!!!! can't wait to read all about the marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I would be super bummed if I was training for a PR and then rain messed things up...but it might not be too bad! Running in the rain (which is rare in LA) makes me feel like a BAMF, so if nothing else, you will be uber hardcore.

    (I would skip body glide and go directly to vaseline and apply tons of it to your feet and be aware of "hot spots" while your'e running and take some moleskin, better to spend a little time covering a would-be blister than to regret it and be in pain later on)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad it's not just me! For my first marathon I actually *was* sick, so it's hard to tell this time around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Body Glide is already packed! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chance of rain has gone from 60% to 30% in the last hour! And I never would have thought to use vaseline. This is a very good tip!

    Even in the rain I think I can still beat last year's record. We'll see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also meant to say that I really had a strong reaction to Charlotte Simmons. You're right, the characters are not very likeable. I also found them two-dimensional and static. That said, I devoured that book and it was a very fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck! I can't wait to hear about it on the other side!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes...the taper. It's good because it allows you to rest. But when your body goes and goes and goes for months and months and months when you're training for the marathon, it does throw off your immune system. It's pretty typical to get sick during those last two weeks. Just stay hydrated during these last few hours.

    Running in the rain is difficult, but don't let it get you down about your marathon goal. Sometimes, we have to adjust our goals on the fly. I did it in Tyler for the half, and I was really proud of my time there even though it wasn't the time that I initially wanted.

    Either way, I think you're going to have a really fantastic race.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck! I'll be driving by part of the marathon path Sunday morning; I'll be looking for you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read Charlotte Simmons a while ago and felt exactly the same - I was really annoyed by the characters, but still had to keep on reading... Good luck with the marathon!

    ReplyDelete