Monday, February 28, 2011

Camp, Coffee, Hike, Repeat

This past weekend Nathan and I, along with Calvin and Seamus, spent the weekend camping with some friends at Martin Dies, Jr. State Park, located about 90 minutes south of Nacogdoches. It was our first time visiting this particular park and we liked it. Our site was near two trail heads, the water in the distance made for some nice scenery (though the signs warning of alligators kept the dogs on dry land) and the weather was perfect.

Here's the thing about camping: it's kind of boring. Sure, sleeping outside and cooking over a fire is fun, and it's really the only acceptable time to have a beer at ten in the morning, but generally nothing really happens. Some hiking. Lots of coffee. Reading and board games. Sitting by the fire after the sun goes down. That's pretty much it. And, as someone who has a hard time slowing down and living in the moment, it's pretty much awesome. How awesome, you ask? See for yourself.


The dogs were very excited as we loaded up the car and kept trying to run out the front door and onto the front seats. Once we were finally on the road they spent the majority of the drive staring out the windows and panting with excitement.


When we're car camping, I like to make coffee in the French press. It's a touch of civilization in an uncivilized world. (Also: delicious!)


This was Calvin's second camping trip (the first was during Thanksgiving break). He settled in to the new routine pretty quickly. Our friend John suggested using rope to make a dog run that we could attach Calvin's leash to, which was a brilliant idea. He couldn't run away, but he had enough freedom to run around the camp site, pee on things (including John's bag... oops!) and wrestle with Seamus. Seamus, of course, was off leash the entire time because he's perfect. I wish I had a photo of Seamus lying by the fire while the rest of us played Settlers of Catan on the picnic bench, but I didn't think to snap one. Trust me when I say it was adorable.


On Saturday we did an easy four mile hike along both the trails pictured above. I took tons of photos of mushrooms and trees, many of which made it on to my flickr account. Below are some of my favorites.






Pardon my appearance. I hadn't showered in three days and had been living on Shiner Bock.


Possum Living. Review coming soon!

All in all, an excellent weekend of camping. It makes Monday rush by just a little bit slower.

19 comments:

  1. Looks like a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lovely weekend -- and your dogs are just too adorable in that picture from the car! That's just how mine is, too, panting with excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds amazing. I can't wait for it to get warm here and for summer to do a little camping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I just had to stop by to say that I love your blog. I've been cruising around the archives, which is what I do when I find a blog I like. Your honesty and ambition are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS I found you through Kate O.'s blog... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like such a wonderful way to spend a weekend! The scenery is gorgeous and I am SO jealous of your weather! It is almost impossible for me to unwind and entertain myself when we're out camping and I typically drive the Mister BONKERS, so it is definitely I need to learn how to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like so much fun! I can't wait for Chip to be done with nursing school so we can do stuff like this. It seems like it would be wonderful to just leave for a weekend, nothing else to do but read, drink, and cook over a fire. :) It would be great for helping me to "live in the moment", which I too have a lot of trouble with. Yoga has helped me with that some.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I spent many weekends at Martin Die Jr. State park in high school; I really should revisit it. This post makes me very excited about camping with my family in a couple weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've been thinking about planning a camping trip soon. Looks like you had a beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dogs make everything just a little more exciting. Their enthusiasm is infectious! I guess that's how some people feel about their kids, but I'll stick with dogs for now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. By the time summer rolls around, it will be too hot in Texas to camp! We need to get it in now while the weather is still mild.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Rose-Anne! Thank you for your comment and for stopping by. Any friend of Kate O. is a friend of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a tough job, that's for sure. I used to get really antsy while we were camping but now I'm much better at kicking back and relaxing. Practice makes perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Being able to leave behind all our responsibilities is definitely a perk. This is the first time that neither Nathan or I are currently in school, and it's very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to hear about your camping adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like you'll had a wonderful time! Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your dog Calvin looks a lot like a dog I had named Riley. I used to take both of my dogs to the lake at the State Park and let them swim. They loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your dog Calvin looks a lot like a dog I had named Riley. I used to take both of my dogs to the lake at the State Park and let them swim. They loved it!

    ReplyDelete