Friday, February 18, 2011

Happy Birthday Nathan!

Nathan hates when I post photos of him. Happy birthday!

Today is Nathan's 30th birthday! It's hard to believe he's entered a new decade, especially since he was just 21 when we met and started dating. Seems like yesterday! He appears to be taking the change pretty well and is mostly excited to be the youngest person in a new age group for races. I, on the other hand, am having a slight existential crisis. If Nathan is 30, that means I'll be 30 in just a year and a half. 18 months! I always thought I would have accomplished something huge by my third decade - a best selling novel! my own business! land and a house to call my own! a year spent backpacking abroad and collecting material for my memoir! - and time is running out. I need to get moving, like yesterday. Sigh.

But enough about me. This is Nathan's day, and I don't need to tell you how glad I am that Nathan was born, exists, and shares a life with me. Happy birthday, my love!

Besides the birth of Nathan 30 years ago, this has not been the best week. Calvin has been really disobedient - he ran away twice (I should have had him on a leash...), he destroyed two pairs of flip flops, and he went through our laundry and scattered it across the bedroom floor. I'm not sure what's gotten into him, but I suspect it has something to do with us being busy this week and not taking the dogs on as many walks as they (very clearly) need. Let's make a deal, Calvin - if we try harder next week, will you return the favor?

I'm also nervous about hearing from MFA programs. Some schools have started to notify but this process will go on (and on, and on) until April. I'm trying my best to stay distant and distracted, but it's hard. I didn't follow my weekly cooking plan at all and we even succumbed to ordering a pizza last night. And I've just been feeling a little down and funky in a non-dance-party way. It seems to be going around, so at least I'm not alone in my winter blues. But still. Still.

On the bright side, it's Nathan's birthday and that means dinner and drinks out on the town. Tomorrow we're going to Houston for the day, where we will eat good food, see a play and pop in our favorite haunts. Which are all fun and exciting things, which means this funk is about to be nothing but a faded memory.Whew!

I hope you had a good weekend and are looking ahead to an even better weekend. See you Monday!

13 comments:

  1. Good luck on all fronts, from school to the dog! Happy Birthday, Nathan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I've really noticed how much Clive picks up on our stress or rushed attitudes. On those weeks he's very hyper, disobedient and a bit despondent also. They really force us to calm down dont' they? If for no other reason than to spare our stuff from destruction...

    I remember the application process for my BFA and MA programs and how nervous I was. Deep breaths every day, no matter what happens, the opportunity for YOU will present itself when you least think about it!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so right! I was thinking that Calvin was adding to my stress, but it's more likely that he was picking up on it. I think longer walks will good for the both of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NATHAN!!!

    Let us know if you ever want to drop Calvin off for some Bowser time. We've got the back yard cleaned up now and Bowser would surely wear Calvin out!!! (We also take Bowser for walks in the Experimental Forest almost every day. Let us know if you'd like us to take Calvin some time to get him off your hands for a little bit. Bowser always comes home exhausted!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to Nathan! 30 is a GREAT age to be!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a good looking chap. He pulls off 30 so well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can relate. I'll be turning 30 in a couple of years and while I don't mind the big 3-0, I really thought I would have accomplished more in my life, personally and professionally. Lately I've been learning to balance my life and have found the importance of finding satisfaction and happiness even in the ordinary. But! I just want more! :)
    More exercise might curb some of Calvin's naughtiness. I think my pup is about the same age as Calvin, and he's just a bundle of energy! I try to put in at least 5 miles a day of walking with him, and on the days that I don't he'll find his own destructive outlet for his energy. It's true that a tired dog is a well behaved dog!
    Anyway, Happy Birthday to Nathan!! Hope you both have a fun filled night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've never taken our dogs to the Experimental Forest. Great suggestion! And yes - a doggie date is definitely in order!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 5 miles a day! That would be amazing. We're lucky if we get three miles. But you're so right - Calvin is best when he's tired. I'll keep working him! And thanks for the comment - I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday Nathan! Have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny I never thought that I'd have anything accomplished by a certain time in my life. I never made a 5 year plan or a 10 year plan either.

    Also Happy Birthday to Nathan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday, Nathan! I'm glad he was born, too.

    ReplyDelete