Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Houston Marathon Race Report

Second time's a charm? If we're talking me and marathons, then the answer is yes! Here, my friends, is the long awaited recap of the Houston Marathon. Grab a snack and get comfortable, because it's a long one!

Pre-Race Celebrations in Houston 

We live two hours from Houston and our good friends Vicki and Jeromy, who had just moved to the city for an internship, offered to let us stay with them the night before the race. We decided to come down on Friday evening instead, so we'd have time to hang out in addition to running the marathon. We left work early on Friday and made it to Houston in time for dinner. Vicki and Jeromy treated us to a night on the town which involved three bars and an extremely decent dinner at a Thai restaurant. The highlight of the night was a bar called Anvil, which featured the fanciest drinks I've ever seen. Delicious, too! We ended up staying awake until nearly 3am, which is probably not the best thing to do two nights before a huge race, but which was definitely worth it.


We woke up late and slightly hungover Saturday, but fixed that problem with a delicious brunch at the Empire Cafe, lots of coffee, some shopping and then a trip to the Houston Marathon Expo. It was an awesome expo and I scored a ton of free Larabars, sample boxes of granola, a pair of toe socks for my Vibrams and brochures for races all over the world. (A girl can dream!) We also saw our friend Chip who was volunteering with the Brooks booth - you can read his recap here.



After picking up our race packets and goodie bags, we went to see a movie (Biutiful, which was a fitting name - a haunting meditation on life and death - see it if you can!) and then grabbed dinner at Whole Foods which, along with staying with awesome friends, is now our official pre-marathon tradition. We did both these things for Houston and for Austin, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Race Morning, or The Moment of Reckoning Arrives

In the days leading up the marathon, I'd been glued to weather.com, watching as the predicted percentage of precipitation grew larger and larger, until race day was calling for 100% chance of thunderstorms, with daily emails from race officials warning us of possible delays and cancellations. When the alarm went off at 4:30am on Sunday morning, I grabbed my phone and checked the weather for the thousandth time - miraculously, the chance of rain had dropped to only 20%. Oh, happy day! Nathan and I got dressed. I had a pumpernickel bagel with peanut butter and a small cup of coffee and soymilk. We were on the road by 5:20 and, after a tense half hour stuck in traffic, milling around the starting line by 6:15.


Nathan was in the first wave, which started at 7:00am, and I was in the second wave, which started ten minutes later. I was very impressed with  the pre-race organization - even though 7,342 marathoners and 9,472 half marathons were running, it never felt too crowded or hectic. I lined up at the front of my wave with the 4:15 pace group leaders and nervously waited for the gun to go off. It was 60 degrees when we started, with 99% humidity and light rain. Could have been better, but definitely could have been worse!

Here we go again!

At exactly 7:10am, we were off! To reach my goal of finishing in 4:15, I had to maintain an average pace of 9:43 minutes per mile. For the first five miles, I ignored this and stayed ahead of the pace group, which I knew was a bad idea but I couldn't help myself. While the rain scared off some of the spectators there was still a nice crowd, and I really liked running through Houston. Nathan and I lived there for a summer and visit fairly often, so it was great to see so many familiar sights.

The pace group caught up to me at around mile 6, which was nice. One of the pace leaders was very funny and entertaining - half tour guide, half comedian, and fully dedicated to flashing her sports bra at the frat houses through Rice University and doing a push up at every single mile marker. If you have the opportunity to run with a pace group, I highly recommend them! I chatted with some of the folks running around me, but mostly I just focused on my own race. I had a few gels and alternated between water and Gatorade at each station, and I grinned every time someone yelled my name or told me I was "looking good!"


It was a very uneventful race, and for a moment I was even thinking about how quickly it was going by and how great I felt. This was before I got to mile 18. At mile 18, things started to fall apart. It rained heavily at one point and my shoes were just wet enough to rub a giant blister into my right toe. I grabbed a banana from an aid station but could only stomach three bites. My pace began to slow and as the 4:15 pace group faded into the distance, so too did my goal for the marathon. I was surprisingly okay with this - I knew 4:15 was pushing it, especially in the rain and the humidity, and I also knew that I was currently giving the marathon everything I had.

I started running a 10:30 pace and managed to maintain it for the most part. Miles 20 through 25 were the hardest, but I expected this. I was in pain - blisters and soreness and exhaustion were all setting in. But I pushed on and only allowed myself to walk through the aid stations, while drinking water. When I saw that there was only a mile and a half left I dug in and picked up my pace. According to the marathon's fancy statistics, I passed 64 people in the last 1.4 miles! 64 people! And when I finally crossed the finish line, I thew my arms in the air, slung my medal around my neck, and got as far away from the marathon course as possible.


After last year's Austin Marathon, I was so overcome with emotion that I cried as soon as I crossed the finish line. At the end of Houston, I didn't even let myself think about what I had just done. I had blinders on, and the only thing I could think about was shower, food, and a comfortable chair. Later, Nathan and I discussed the marathon in alarming detail - what we saw, what we felt, how our bowels cooperated (very well, thanks for asking!), signs we liked, parts of the course that we favored, how many calories we took in. We're still talking about it, three days later. But in the moments after the race had ended, we sat in silence in the car and simply enjoyed the feeling of doing nothing. Nothing can feel pretty wonderful.

Some Fancy Stats! 

The Houston Marathon has a website where you can get all kinds of fancy stats and graphs post race. The nerd in me rejoiced! Here are a few that I liked the most: 



Vicki and Jeromy were awesome hosts and even better spectators. In addition to appearing twice on the sidelines of the course to cheer us on, Vicki took the two action photos earlier in the post, and Jeromy filmed both Nathan and I as we ran. By the time we got back to their apartment, he had already edited the video and made us a copy. Amazing! I love this video, but I am not too pleased with my form - especially at mile 23! It was uphill and I was very tired, so that's my excuse. But still. Still!



And of course, my mile splits courtesy of the Garmin. I was doing so well until mile 18! And you can clearly see how I was struggling to maintain a decent pace during the last few miles. I love the story that numbers can tell. 

Mile 1: 9:12
Mile 2: 9:19
Mile 3: 9:24
Mile 4: 9:30
Mile 5: 9:49
Mile 6: 9:51
Mile 7: 9:47
Mile 8: 9:25
Mile 9: 9:34
Mile 10: 9:32
Mile 11: 9:36
Mile 12: 9:50
Mile 13: 9:34
Mile 14: 9:29
Mile 15: 9:41
Mile 16: 9:32
Mile 17: 9:57
Mile 18: 10:18
Mile 19: 10:02
Mile 20: 9:56
Mile 21: 10:43
Mile 22: 10:52
Mile 23: 10:21
Mile 24: 11:15
Mile 25: 10:59
Mile 26: 9:54
Mile 0.2: 8:20

Post-Marathon Rest and Recovery 

After a shower and a delicious lunch at Niko Niko's, Nathan and I made two hour drive back to Nacogdoches. We were a little sore and very tired but feeling pretty good, considering. We went to bed at about 8:30pm and when we woke up at 6:30 the next day, I could barely walk. My thighs were so, so sore, my blisters were as big as my toes, and I was still hungry, tired and dehydrated. We called in sick to work and spent the day on the couch, which was just perfect. Yesterday I was still a little sore, but much improved, and today my legs feel almost 100% back to normal. The only lingering evidence of my 26.2 mile jaunt through Houston is a very tender and sore spot on the outside of my right foot. Any pressure causes pain, which is annoying. I would like to go to yoga this week at least once, but I'm not sure if that's wise. I'm going to give it another day or two and see how I feel. I'm sure I'll keep y'all updated!

And that concludes my very long and overly detailed race report for the 2011 Houston Marathon! Thanks for reading until the very end and for all your kind words, comments, tweets and messages along the way. It's been a long journey and I'm glad that it's over (for now, that is!).

40 comments:

  1. You are so awesome, and what a great recap!

    I love, love, love Anvil...glad you got to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! Looks like all your hard work paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! What a fantastic gift from J and V. I love the video! You looked fantastic even at mile 23. :)

    So proud of you but I'm sure you are super duper proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Congrats! Whew! A marathon! I'm not there yet. Not even close! The video brought a smile to my face! Thanks for posting! So fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I say this all the time, but you are an inspiration. I mean it! I don't even know if I would have gotten into running if it weren't for seeing you out there kicking butt. You are teh awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Big congrats to you!! Awesome job! I loved reading all the details. I'm gearing up for a half on Saturday, and this was just the kind of little motivational boost I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck, Chanda! Sometimes I feel silly writing these reports out in so much detail, but then I think about how much I liked reading ones written by other people, and how much inspiration and motivation I get from them. I'm glad I could give a little to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! The nerd in my liked the stats too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So amazing! I can say with confidence I could never do it. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You passed 64 people in your last mile? That's nuts! You're a rock star! Congratulations on an amazing second marathon. I really enjoyed reading your report and the videos are great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! I've been reading for a while (since you asked a deferral question on the UNCG MFA blog that I needed the answer to too!) but haven't yet commented. I figured the successful completion of your marathon was as good a time as any to finally step up and comment. Impressive stuff. Plus the comment about the group leader flashing the Rice houses made me laugh. I went to Rice, and I can only imagine that her flashing them was the thrill of the week for most of those folks. (Though Rice doesn't have frats or sororities, so I'm trying to imagine just what houses she was flashing.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anvil is such a cool place! Unique drinks, great atmosphere, friendly bartenders. Nowhere in Nacogdoches can hold a candle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all your exclamation points! They make me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw, thanks so much Martha! I am totally serious when I say that if I can run a marathon, anyone can! You will rock your half this year, I know it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know! That little stat blew me away too. I remember picking up the pace on the last stretch - I think I even hit a 7:50 mile at one brief moment. I was very eager to be done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Theresa! Thanks for the comment! I'm not sure what she was flashing then - it was a street lined with trees and lots of houses and students along the way. Either way, I think they enjoyed it!

    Did you ever get an answer from UNCG? They sort of snubbed me (or so it felt) and I decided not to apply there again after all. C'est la vie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, I definitely don't think your race report was too long or overly detailed. It looks like your friends got some really good pictures of you along the way. You looked really great at the end of your race...a clear sign of your running strength. No doubt that you'll get 4:15 on your next one if the weather cooperates. When is your next one?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Chip! I don't know when my next marathon will be - not until 2012. Right now, I think one marathon per year is all I can handle. I do plan to run as many half marathons as I can though - I'll be at the Bear Chase in April for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Chrissy, congratulations!!! You rocked it as expected! I loved reading your race report after following your training this whole time. AWESOME!

    And how cute are your friends, making the sign and doing the photos and video?! Love it!

    I hope you are recovering well and basking in the glow of accomplishment as you should be.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow.
    I used to be a runner in my "former" life. Health has been an issue the last few years. ANd still currently is...bigtime. Not proud of that. I wonder what my future holds in terms of exercise. But have to bright and positive. Take it day at a time.
    You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great report! I was just like you at the end of my first one. As soon as I saw the finish line, I couldn't hold back tears-- partly because I couldn't believe what I had accomplished, and partly because of the overwhelming relief that it was over! I've been enjoying the halfs I've been doing, and I'm not sure where and when I'll commit to another marathon. It's really less the physical exertion that the incredible amount of time you have to invest in training for it... it took over my life last time! It will have to be one that I *really, really* want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You look so happy in all those pictures! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great recap! I loved that it's so detailed! Still amazed by you! : )

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you Kate! I am basking. It's good to be done!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I had a really difficult time getting an answer from them as well, but eventually I did. It was frustrating to say the least and didn't give me very warm feelings toward them. Unfortunately, I'm committed to living in NC for two more years because my husband is mid-way through a post-doc, so my MFA choices are limited at this point. We've done long distance so many times in the past that we're kind of over it. Since UNCG didn't make me pay to re-apply, I went ahead and did it. The funding situation still doesn't look good there however, and I'm with you on the fully funded thing, so if it's a no-go again, I'll wait until my husband is done with his post-doc and then apply more broadly. I hope you get into one of your top choices!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is why I don't want to do any more than one marathon a year. I have so many other interests and hobbies, and the last 6-8 weeks of marathon training end up consuming everything! Halfs (halves?) are my favorite distance - you still feel like you've accomplished something big, but you don't have to give up your life in order to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm drawn to NC and I ended up applying to Wilmington instead. I hope you get into UNCG and that they give you a load of money! I put off an MFA for a few years because my boyfriend was finishing his MS, so now it's my turn. I hear you on not wanting to do long distance. We did it in the beginning of our relationship and it was okay, but now that we've been living together for 6+ years, I don't think I could ever go back to that. School will always be there and I don't *need* to be in a program to write. It would just make writing a lot easier. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congrats, Chrissy! You look like a total pro in your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's funny because when I first started watching it, I was thinking how funny it is to watch so many humans just running. At then end of the video, I found myself teared up for you guys :) Hope I make 26.2 someday! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! 32 comments?! You are a rock star. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great race report, Chrissy! I'm jealous to see everyone in shorts hahaha. It's like 10 degrees here today. WONDERFUL JOB. You look strong . . . and you're right -- those numbers do tell a story. Running a marathon is hard work! You rocked it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Did you do the whole marathon sans music? Do you usually run with music? I've been trying to use the ole Ipod less recently especially for races...Just curious to know your thoughts! Congrats again and I'm glad you got some snow so that you can rest!

    ReplyDelete
  33. It counts my replies to people. But yes, I will be a rockstar if you say I am!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks, Ashley! It was a balmy 60 degrees at the start of the race and very humid. Gotta love Houston!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I carry an iPod shuffle on long training runs (runs over 15 miles, generally), but that's a recent development. I brought music for the marathon and planned to use it after the half way point, but I left my iPod on over night by accident and it died after three miles. Very disappointing because I'd really been counting on music to get me through the last few miles. Oh, well. Next time I'll be more careful!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Cool! Love the video! Good job, way to kick that marathon's butt!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great race report! I'm super impressed with your pace and your determination to push through with blisters!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I am a HUGE fan of Anvil and frequent Bobby's blog drinkdogma.com I took monthly cocktail and liquor classes when I was bartending in the Houston area. Glad you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete