Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Vegan Black Bean and Tofu Enchiladas


I'm overdue for a recipe post, mostly because I've been making really quick and simple things for the last few weeks. Then I realized that quick and simple is just as important as fancy and complicated, and that the recipes that can be made on a Tuesday night, after a full day of work and a challenging yoga class, are the very best kind.

This recipe is that kind - a small list of ingredients, minimal prep work, a full 25 minutes in the oven so you have time to clean the kitchen while dinner cooks, and then sit down for a hot, delicious, filling and healthy meal, which will provide plenty of leftovers for lunches later in the week. If that is not Tuesday night recipe perfection, than I don't know what is.


This recipe is a conglomerate of every vegetarian enchilada recipe I skimmed through on the Internet and was also inspired by the vegan tacos I had at the Cosmic Cup Cafe in Dallas a few weeks ago. Even though the ingredients are mostly cooked before they go into the oven, I like to bake it until the tortillas are crispy. Those who are avoiding gluten could easily sub corn tortillas for flour (just check your labels!), and feel free to add in whatever veggies you have lying around. This recipe is very adaptable, which is why it's one of my favorites.


Vegan Black Bean and Tofu Enchiladas

You will need:
1 block of extra firm tofu, cubed
1 yellow squash, diced
1 zucchini, diced
1 small red onion, diced
1 cup frozen corn
2 cups of black beans (or 1 can)
1 can of enchilada sauce (I usually need about 15-20 ounces)
10-12 tortillas
1 Tbsp olive oil
cooking spray

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F.

Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat (cast iron is my favorite, but a regular frying pan will do). Add the olive oil and then the tofu, squash, zucchini, onion and corn. Cook for about ten minutes, stirring frequently, until everything begins to soften and brown. Mostly, you're trying to dry out the tofu by cooking away the water to avoid soggy enchiladas.

Add the black beans and enough enchilada sauce to lightly coat everything in the pan. Mix thoroughly and remove from heat.(If you like spicy food, this is a good time to add some chili powder for an extra bang.)

Lightly spray a glass casserole dish with cooking spray. Hold a tortilla in your hand and spoon in a generous amount of filling from the pan. Fold the tortilla in half, so the edges overlap. Plan in the casserole dish and spear with a toothpick (to keep the enchilada closed). Repeat until the casserole dish is filled and the cast iron pan is empty. (Sometimes I end up with an overflow of enchiladas and have to stick the extras in a glass pie plate.) Poor the rest of the sauce over the enchiladas. Place the whole shebang in the oven and cook for 25 minutes, until the edges of the tortillas are crispy. Cool on the counter for five minutes before serving.

Top with salt and pepper, vegan or non-vegan sour cream, and/or diced avocados, or just devour them as is. Most of all, enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. This looks delish! Simple, healthy & easy! I am putting it on our recipe menu for next week!

    Nasoya
    www.nasoya.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look terrible. Please send the leftovers to my house and I will take care of them for you. I'm a giver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! Best comment ever. But don't worry - I was able to dispose of the leftovers for lunch the next day. It was a tough job, but someone had to do it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUMMY! R makes a very similar tofu and black bean enchilada dish, but smothered in daiya. It's so good and I love your version!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! These look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't get daiya anywhere in town, but I have ordered it online once or twice and it is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! I checked our your blog and your photos are beautiful, so that means a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made these this week and there were so delicious and so easy to make. I escaped from work, cooked them up, put them in the oven, ran back to a work event near my house and came home to a fantastic dinner. Score!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad! This is one of my most original recipes (as in, not from a cookbook) so that means a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am totally going to try these. They look great! I love the Cosmic Cup!!! I haven't been there in a long time because it's a little far away.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are one of my favorite things to eat! Let me know how you like them. :)

    ReplyDelete