Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Beer Brewing and Bubbles


This past weekend we started our first batch of home brewed beer. I had planned to photograph the process and do a fancy step-by-step tutorial but that did not happen. We may or may not have been a little overwhelmed by the process and aren't really sure if whatever is fermenting in our five gallon bucket will be drinkable and/or alcoholic. Better to do our first batch, see what needs to be fixed and then document the process when we actually know what we're doing. For now, keep your fingers crossed!

We actually brewed twice on Sunday. We started by heading over to our friends' house. George and Elma were also brewing for the first time and George had opted to do it from scratch with grains and hops. We went the beer kit route, thinking it would be easier for first timers to get right. It turns out the kit was just as confusing as the George's method. As soon as we bottle this beer we plan to start another batch, this time without the aid of a kit. It's sort of like baking a cake from a box - only okay when you're feeling lazy. Generally, I prefer to see and feel the individual ingredients. It makes me feel closer to my consumables.

One good sign - our beer is happily bubbling in the airlock. This means that it's definitely fermenting. Whew!



As for our other home grown projects, the shiitake block needed to be refrigerated for three days before we could start growing mushrooms. It's currently taking up way too much room in the fridge and weirding out our guests. Just another day in the Henneward house!


(Ignore the Crisco in the back. I use it once a year for pie crust, because sometimes a substitute just won't do. Also, the OJ is strictly for screwdrivers. Priorities, people!)

12 comments:

  1. Lucas keeps our homebrew in the guest bathroom shower, so it terrifies me everytime I go in there...bubble bubble burp burp. Creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is don't give up :) The first time I did it was horrible because it's so messy and I kept cleaning while someone else kept doing things. I finally was told, "LET IT GO!" lol. My only advice is keep everything as clean as humanly possible at all times and you will be successful. Hope the beer is tasty and happy brewing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, how cool! I'm not much of a beer drinker, but I'm really curious to see how your batch turns out! Do keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny! Ours is currently on our kitchen counter because we're excited and want to keep checking on it. Not sure where we'll store it once the novelty wears off... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I *may* have used an un-sanitized wooden spoon to stir the hops into the boiling water. But it was boiling so it's probably okay? And we definitely made a mess, but it wasn't so bad. Next time will be cleaner and neater!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will definitely let y'all know how it ends out! Too bad we have to wait until APRIL! I'm impatient. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Crisco cracked me up. Your whole fridge looks so healthy. It's like a little surprise in the back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun! I love DIY projects.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm just looking at the Sabra hummus and wishing I had the tub of Supremely Spicy that's at home in my fridge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That hummus is like crack! Which is why I have two containers of it on my top shelf. :) I'm addicted to the garlic variety. I could eat it all day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My fridge is usually 75% vegetables. I should do a fridge post one day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So how'd you know I was analyzing what was in your fridge that you had to put your disclaimer there.
    Simply Orange is awesome and should be used all the time. Your fridge is much emptier than mine. Mine is full of drinks my husband wants so we have no room for food.
    Our fridge a year ago: http://scrapandrun.blogspot.com/2010/04/monday.html
    OK instead of trying to dig for a picture of our fridge I will go take one with what it looks like now. Oh it is not nearly as bad as I thought. I guess my complaining plus grocery shopping yesterday helped. https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/fkfHzpuR-LNU6A4Mpc1irWJWYC4SaMssgK7MBK1xbAQ?feat=directlink

    ReplyDelete