Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Housekeeping and A Publication

Hello friends! If you're reading this in a feed (and if you aren't subscribed, you should be - I recommend Google Reader for all your aggregating needs!) I suggest your click on through to my actual blog. I've done a hefty redesign and I think it looks pretty swanky!

The header is courtesy of my very talented friend Elma Gildenhuys and the background was created by myself, using Blogger's Template Designer. (Easy to use, even for those of us who are graphically challenged!) There is still some tweaking to be done so this isn't the final design. But I'd love to hear what you think of the changes so far!

Another small change I've made is putting Google Ads on my blog. I hope they aren't too obnoxious and that y'all don't hate them and then hate me and then quit reading my blog because you think I'm a sell out. I don't know if I'll actually make any revenue from the ads, but as money is tight and it would be nice to make a little cash from my writing, I figured it was worth a try. If it turns out that it's not worth it, then I can always remove the ads with the simple click of a mouse.

And speaking of writing, today a flash fiction piece that I wrote has been published on an online journal called The Molotov Cocktail. Check it out and enjoy!

18 comments:

  1. I like the layout. clean and simple.
    but I also liked it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green for St. Patrick's day? It looks cool. The ads, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey did you already remove the ads or do I just not have ads show up on sites? It could be both. I also don't remember the ads last night though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the feedback! I like it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the old one and then slowly, I grew to hate it. I'm sure this will not be my last redesign ever! I like change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I forgot about St. Patrick's day. I just love green - it's my favorite color. Thanks for the feedback on the ads. I'm not crazy about them either and if they don't make me xx number of $$, then I'll toss them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see the ads. They pretty far down the page so you only see them if you scroll. And there's one at the bottom of the feed when you subscribe. I tried to make them as unobtrusive as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I meant to tell you earlier that I love the green in your new look! It feels so fresh and springlike. Man, I would love to figure out how to do something snazzy with my blog, but I've never gotten around to it.

    About the ads: don't be bummed if they don't make any money. I have yet to make any money from the Google ads on my running blog, and a blog friend of mine said he's never made any money from his Google ads either. My feeling about ads is that they shouldn't crowd the content of the blog. When I visit a blog, I want to read YOUR words and look at YOUR pictures. I loathe pushy, in-your-face advertising on blogs! Your ad placement is pretty demure, so I think it's fine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey if the ads make you money, power to you! I would never rain on a person's chance to make a little extra cash parade. There are some blogs with ads on both sides and the content squeezed into a narrow column down the center. That's a little obnoxious. I hardly notice your ads.

    Love the redesign! Very sweet header!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love the new look & congrats on being published! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The ads don't bother me at all. They have their nice little place on the left there. Nothing obnoxious about it. I'm just glad they're not right at the top of your page because that would take away from your beautiful new header. :)

    And congratulations on being published. That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chrissy, I love the green! Looks good. And I'm happy to perpetuate your money making advertising goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty redesign & hurrah on the publication! Great way to start the weekend, I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it! I've been following your blog before reader was cool and I'll follow you when it isn't cool anymore.

    ReplyDelete