Monday, March 07, 2011

Weekly Writing Goals - Week 1


As I mentioned in my last post, I plan to start posting my writing goals for the upcoming week each Monday, in order to 1. keep myself motivated, 2. hold myself accountable, 3. make real progress on my path to Published Writer, and 4. totally bore my blog readers, many of whom would rather see photos of my dogs than read the minutiae of artistic benchmarks. To be honest, sometimes I would rather take pictures of my dogs than do the dirty work or actually writing. Alas, we all must make sacrifices for those things that truly matter.

To me, writing matters. Therefore, I plan to do the following things by this time next week in order to become a better writer: 
  • Submit my short story "The Wedding" to Ploughshares Emerging Fiction Writer's Contest
  • Identify five literary journals to which my short story "Distance" can be submitted. Submit. 
  • Begin revisions on creative nonfiction piece, "Dread." This essay is about my first year at college, during which time I dreadlocked my hair, studied Buddhism and found myself (in a nutshell). I love this essay - it was my first foray into nonfiction - and I received some great suggestions for revision the last time I sent it to journals. Time to revise and resubmit! 
  • Write the yoga studio's newsletter. I do this every month (plus some other Facebook, blog and various marketing duties) in exchange for my membership. It's a very good deal. 
  • Begin something new. I've spent the last few months focusing on MFA applications and revising and submitting all my old stories. I'm ready to switch gears and get back to creating. 
That should keep me pretty busy this week. I'll let y'all know how it goes next Monday!

12 comments:

  1. You really inspire me so much! I'm not a writer, but I'm many "aspiring things" and if you can fit in so much (including having some fun) so can I!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your goals seem really balanced between the business (submitting stories) and the creative (writing new stuff) side of writing. It's a good feeling to complete something and start something new! Good luck :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry about boring people! Your blog is for you as well as your readers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great goals! I think I need to strike a deal with my local yoga studio :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Rebecca! As much as I, there is still so much more I wish I could fit in. There are never enough hours in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for noticing my balancing act! I try to do a little on each end when I think about it. I tend to write and forget about submitting very often, so making it a priority is important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, thanks Jessica! I don't worry too much about boring people. Goals posts are some of my favorite to read on other people's blogs, and I know I can't be alone in that obsession!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I highly recommend it. The bartering system is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When do we get to read Dread?

    Also can you show me what your yoga newsletter looks like? I'm curious since I've heard you mention it a few times and I've talked to you about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What amazing dedication and organization. Quite inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dread will be read when it's finally published. Check my new post (about to hit publish) to see a link to the newsletters and something of mine that you CAN read!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much! Now the tricky part is actually *accomplishing* the goals. ;)

    ReplyDelete