Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Weekly Writing Goals - Week 4


Last week was kind of a bust in the writing department.Because I work Monday through Friday, from 8am to 5pm, and also exercise and walk dogs and make dinner and try to keep the house looking more like a home and less like a war zone, writing during the week often gets pushed to the side. I get more done on the weekends, but I've been out of town nearly every weekend for the last two months. While these weekend adventures are inspiring for a creative life, they're not conducive to actually producing creative works. Luckily, the next few weekends - while busy - will be mostly spent in town, at home, close to my books and my computer. I'm planning to make April an especially productive month, starting with this weekend.

To refresh your memory, last week's goals were as follows:
  • Finish my first draft of the East Texas Gothic piece. I eeked out another 500 words, but the piece is far from finished. I have an idea of where I want it to go, but am still not sure how I'm going to get it there.
  • Write literary reviews for my two most recently read books. I only wrote one book review, but I was pleased with the comments and discussion it sparked! I finished another book while on vacation and I'm almost done with yet another book, so more reviews are coming. I really like posting my reviews. It encourages me to connect the books I'm reading to something going on in my life, which makes me feel closer to the stories. Books! They're just the best!
As for this week's goals:
  • Continue working on the East Texas Gothic piece. Aim for 500 words a day, starting tonight. I was trying to write 500 words a day, every day, for a while, but I think short bursts of this system when I have an actual focus will be more effective. 500 words only takes about 30 minutes, and surely I can find 30 minutes a day to write, even during the week.
  • Write another book review. 
  • Start and finish freelance work. Yes, you read that correctly. I have a yoga studio newsletter to write and I also got hired (!) to create a social media campaign for a local business. This opportunity came from the presentation I did over spring break about using the social networking to market organizations and businesses. I'm going to be creating a Facebook page, Twitter profile and Foursquare account for this group AND get paid for it. Exciting!
Nathan wanted to go canoe camping this weekend, but clearly I am way too busy for yet another adventure. Priorities! 

    2 comments:

    1. Great goals--good luck!

      ReplyDelete
    2. congrats on the new freelance work! :)

      ReplyDelete