Friday, April 29, 2011

How to Have a Good Weekend

Excuse the bed sheet that is half hanging off the couch. As you can see, Seamus claims the couch most days/afternoons/nights and changing the sheet out each week is the best way we've found to keep the cushions clean and somewhat fresh. It's more a functional solution than a chic fix. Also, this is how I feel by Friday. TGIF, y'all! Also, also: longest caption ever.


"To ensure good health: eat lightly, breathe deeply, live moderately, cultivate cheerfulness, and maintain an interest in life."
-William Londen

I came across the above quote via Tiny Buddha, which is where I find all my favorite quotes. I like this one in particular because it sums up my life philosophy perfectly. This weekend, I plan to hit on all of the above suggestions:

Eat lightly: Saturday afternoon our CSA is hosting a potluck for all members. I am planning to bring my soon-to-be-famous carrot cake, mostly so I can finally post the recipe & photos here!

Breathe deeply: I'm looking forward to Saturday morning yoga and a Sunday evening donation class (open to anyone!). I'm also planning to run a 5K tomorrow, even though the race starts at 2pm. I'm guessing a PR is not in my future.

Live moderately: Being broke kind of forces one to live moderately, but that's fine with me. I like being frugal and thrifty and taking advantage of the free fun and good friends that I can find right here at home. As much as I like to travel, I'm happy that we're not going out of town this weekend - I have missed the simple pleasures of Nacogdoches.

Cultivate cheerfulness: Yes, please. I'm almost always in a good mood and I usually have something to look forward to, even if the present moment is less than ideal (coughworkcough). Because it's nearly quitting time on a Friday, being cheerful is extra easy.

Maintain an interest in life: This weekend, things already catching my interest are: a coffee date with friends, a kite festival at the airport, finishing a short story I plan to enter in a contest, working on the yoga newsletter for May, and finishing The Invisible Bridge, my current read which I can't put down. I am interested in life, mine and yours, and I plan to write and read and be interested in life until the day I die. I hope that you will do the same.

Happy Friday! Happy weekend! See y'all Monday! 

7 comments:

  1. Great post. Also, I learned about a Sunday yoga class that is open to all and also about a kite festival! Wheee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cultivating cheerfulness is something that I hope to do some of this weekend. I need to do a little restoration to my sanity before the final grading push.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry I can't say anything more profound at the moment, but I just love your blog. Every time I read a new post or look at a cute picture of Calvin, it just makes every day a little better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like terrific weekend advice. Have a wonderful weekend, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Camilla, thank you so much! This comment may not seem profound to you, but it's VERY profound to me. I'm so glad my blog can bring you a little bit of happiness. That makes writing it so worthwhile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. It's hard not to cram everything you can't do during the week into your weekend, but it's necessary to stop and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete