Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Weekly Writing Goals


Yesterday morning I attended the funeral of a dear friend's father. It was a beautiful service and the perfect way to honor a wonderful father and husband. While I didn't know him very well, I could tell from the stories his family shared, the number of people in the church and the nearly equal amounts of laughter and tears in the pews that he had touched many lives throughout his time here. It was a beautiful thing to see and for the rest of the day, I found myself thinking about the legacies we leave behind and how we are remembered.

I don't plan to have children and often I'm filled with a sense of urgency - I need to do something Big and Amazing right now, I need to write a book that will change the world, I need to make my mark and love as many people as I can, so that when I'm gone there's something there - some element of myself - that lives on. Some story that will be told and re-told, even when I fall silent.

I love to tell stories and I'm afraid of death. If that doesn't make Writer my ideal path in life, I don't know what does. Which is the main reason I'm making these weekly goals (now to be posted on Wednesdays rather than Mondays): to keep me focused and productive, that I might live a life of hard work and proud moments.

Last week's goals left me only half-proud. Here's the recap:

  • Finishing reading and review Poser. Finished reading; have yet to review.
  • Finish (finally) first draft of East Texas Gothic piece. I finished the first draft last night and it is terrible. Total trash. However, once I saw the end I realized all the work I need to do on the beginning. Again, the miracle of revision!
  • Write one flash fiction piece. Not even close. It was a nice goal, though. 
As for the coming week:
  • Write five flash fiction pieces, each 1000 words or less. That's right. We're shaking it up a bit. I like writing flash - it's easier to get published (especially online) and it keeps my imagination on it's toes. Plus I am a minimalist when it comes to my prose and the challenge of telling a complete story in as few words as possible is one of my favorites. And finally, I've been spending the last few weeks focusing on one or two pieces - writing five shorter things in one week will be a nice change of pace. At least that's what I'm telling myself.
What are your goals for the week? If you blogged them, link 'em up and let's be each other's cheering section!

6 comments:

  1. I am going to finish the piece for NaNoWriMo 2009. Unfortunately, it's not a novel - at least, not anymore. I spent a week cutting the wordpadding that I used to get to 50k, and now it's an 8400 word sci-fi story in which the New Testament is set in an alternate universe. Where Judas is a crossdressing woman. Wheee.

    But yeah. I have worked on this story in fits and starts for, uh, a year and a half at this point. It is time to get it done. That time will be this week.

    Also, I need to finish this while keeping up with poem-a-day for National Poetry Month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done NaNoWriMo a number of times and after each November, I never look at the stories again. Congratulations on actually finishing one for real!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two book reviews and three poems to finish and post this week. I tackled the book reviews last night but I've been sitting on these poems for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where do you post your book reviews? I would love to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Because of the point where I'm at in the semester and because I'll be out of town this weekend, I think the only thing I'll have time to write this week are lectures for my classes. But I do have a meeting later in the week with my co-editor about the text we're working on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to travel but I hate the way it upsets my routines and makes it harder to accomplish my goals. I should probably work on that. Good luck with your lectures and that meeting sounds exciting! Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete