Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Lemon Fresh Red Potatoes and Squash

photo credit: glyn_nelson

First things first: I have no actual photos of this very delicious recipe. I took some photos and they were great, but Nathan got a hold of my camera in New York and deleted everything not wedding related, so he had room to take videos of little kids break dancing. He figured since the photos were clearly older, I had already transferred them to my computer. I informed him that, for future reference, anything on my camera has YET to be moved. Lesson learned.

Lucky for him, I was able to find a lovely photo of red potatoes to illustrate this blog post, compliments of the Creative Commons search feature on flickr. All my photos are posted under a Creative Commons license, which means anyone can use them however they like, as long as they credit me. I am grateful to other flickr users who return the favor.

But we're not here to talk about Creative Commons or missing photos. We're here to talk about food, and this recipe will get you talking. I found it on the back of a bag of Ruby Sensation red potatoes and after reading the recipe in the produce aisle, proceeded to buy the ingredients and make it that night. It's a simple, summery dish and comes together very quickly, despite the long-ish directions. The recipe recommends serving this dish warm but I have to say - I had the leftovers cold the next day and was blown away by the more developed flavors. Served cold, it's a fresher, lighter version of potato salad, bursting with bright lemon notes and the mild sweetness of shallots. It's good warm, of course, but seriously: eating it cold, the next day, is the way to go!

Lemon Fresh Red Potatoes and Squash 
(adapted from the back of a bag of Ruby Sensation Potatoes)

You will need: 
1 lb small red potatoes, unpeeled and quartered
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
Zest of one lemon (zest before juicing)
2 Tbsp minced shallot
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/4 tsp dried marjoram or dried basil, divided
1/8 cup plus 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 zucchini squash, cut into 1.3 inch thick slices
1 yellow squash, cut into 1.3 inch thick slices
1/2 large red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch wide strips

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Place potatoes and salt in a large saucepan, cover with water and boil until almost tender, about 12-15 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the potatoes!

3. While potatoes are boiling, combine squash and bell pepper in a large bowl; add 1/8 tsp of marjoram and 1 Tbsp of oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat.

4. Arrange squash and pepper mixture in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake 5-8 minutes until tender, turning at least once during cooking time.

5. Whisk lemon juice, shallot, garlic, 1 tsp marjoram and lemon zest in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in 1/8 cup of oil. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.

6, When potatoes are done, drain and transfer potatoes to a medium bowl. Add squash and pepper mixture. Pour oil and lemon juice mixture over the whole she-bang and stir to coat everything evenly. Serve warm or let cool and serve the next day, for an even more complex and delicious flavor.

10 comments:

  1. what a beautiful and delicious-sounding recipe! perfect for summer. thanks for sharing! 

    ReplyDelete
  2.  Hey, this is great! In addition to a ymmy recipe, I also just learned something new about Flickr. I just added the Creative Commons license to my photostream. And I've always worried about using images from other Flickr members, so I've always requested permission first, because I didn't realize that there were members who give implied permission through the Creative Commons license on their photostream. Thanks for the tip!

    S. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome! I'm glad my latent librarian tendencies can help another person out. I use Creative Commons photos for everything - newsletters, PowerPoint presentations, blog posts. I usually still comment and let the person know I used their photo, just so they can see it in action. And I have a Google alert set up for my flickr name so when someone uses mine, I get a notification. It's interesting to see where my photos have ended up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of red potatoes before!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love red potatoes! The insides are regular colored but they're usually smaller than yellow potatoes. I like to roast them with garlic and rosemary.

    I recently discovered purple potatoes, which have purple skins AND purple flesh. Very strange and a little sweeter than yellow potatoes. I wasn't a huge fan but it was fun to have purple mashed potatoes! 

    ReplyDelete
  6.  I haven't commented in a while: This is an awesome sounding recipe, I keep trying desperately to like squash and it lets me down every time. I'll be giving this one a try soon! 

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Chrissy, 

    that's great! How did you set up the google alert? I'd love to set something like that up too. Thanks for any tips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's really easy!  If you have Gmail, just go to Google Accounts (https://www.google.com/accounts/b/0/ManageAccount) and then find "alerts" in the list of services. Put the word or phrase you want to be alerted about (I have "madame furie," which is my flickr username and was my roller derby name!) and follow the rest of the prompts. oila!

    ReplyDelete