Monday, May 02, 2011

Potlucks and Parties and Practice, Oh My!

I've been out of town a lot the last few weeks. Traveling for work, traveling for fun, traveling for races. So when I realized that we would actually be in Nacogdoches this weekend and, better yet, that there would be lots of opportunities for East Texas fun, I made it a goal to take advantage of as many of them as I could. And Reader - I was successful!

Saturday started with a 90 minute yoga class at the studio, which is my favorite way to begin any weekend. After class, I headed to Java Jacks for a coffee date with some friends. We sipped soy lattes and ate vegan cookies (well, I did) and chatted for over an hour, until it was time to run home, pick up Nathan and head to Pecan Park for the Barkothon!

The Barkothon was the inaugural 5K race to benefit the Nacogdoches Animal Shelter. I'd been looking forward to this race since February, when I decided to skip a local race because I didn't support the organization the proceeds benefited. The animal shelter, on the other hand, is a cause near and dear to my heart and I was thrilled to run for the dogs (and cats)! I'll post a full race report soon, so stay tuned for all the gritty details.

After the race, Nathan and I relaxed around the house, watched an episode of Mad Men, drank a beer and baked vegan chocolate chip cookies. The cookies were my contribution to the Appleby Community Farm potluck that our CSA was hosting. We had never been to a potluck on the farm before and it ended up being a really lovely experience. The dinner started at 5pm, which was great because after a late day 5K the last thing I wanted to do was cook a dinner for two. Instead, we headed to the farm, mingled with the other 50+ CSA members, admired the gardens and the Ginny hen, and ate a very satisfying plate full of food.




Normally, that would be a lot for us to do in a whole weekend, but we did it all in one day... and there was still more to come! We capped our evening with a going away party for a friend. We were supposed to leave that party and stop by another one (I know! Party animals!) but we were too tired and conked out at midnight. Home was calling and we were happy to answer.

Sunday was also a lot of fun, though a little more laid back. We slept as late as the dogs would let us. We caught up The Office (and I bawled over Michael Scott). I went grocery shopping and spent more than I planned (as usual). And then we spontaneously decided to take the dogs to Lake Nacogdoches for a dip in the water.

Seamus has always loved the water. He'll swim until he's so tired, he's in danger of drowning. This is the reason he wears a stylish float coat at the lake. Now that Calvin is fully grown, we finally invested in a float coat for him as well. While Seamus jumped in the water and started swimming right away, Calvin had to warm up to the idea. He had no problem splashing around in the surf, but as soon as the water was over his head he got scared. We spent about an hour swimming and by the end of the trip, he was willing to swim out to the deep end for tennis balls, but it was pretty funny watching him gaze at Seamus' swimming prowess with longing. One day, little dog. One day.





After the lake, there was just enough time to grab some sushi before heading to an evening yoga class at the studio. Two yoga classes and a 5K in one weekend? Yes, ma'am. In other words: I slept well. All in all, it was a very busy, very active and very fun weekend. Nacogdoches, I love it when you treat me right!

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to get a life jacket for Bowser! Where did you get those?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got both our float coats at Petsense right here in town! Seamus' was purchased long ago during a 50% off sale. We liked it so much and it has held up so well that we got Calvin the exact same one this weekend at full price, which was about $43.00. They had a cheaper one in stock for around $30, but we sprang for more expensive one since we knew how much we liked it. That's how they get you! ;)

    ReplyDelete