Friday, May 20, 2011

Touching Base



Calvin's new workout schedule is making him tired.

Ladies and gents, it's been a busy few weeks and from the looks of my meticulously color coded Google Calendar, it's not going to let up any time soon. Surprisingly, I'm okay with this. I love my down-time and my me-time and my sit-on-the-couch-time as much as the next person, but right now the universe is conspiring to get me out of the house and on the path to adventure. And who am I to resist the universe? Here are just some of the things that have been keeping me on the go:

Spring Cleaning
Nathan and I are going through a major reckoning with the majority of our stuff. I long to be a clutter free minimalist and release the material objects that weight me down, and I feel like we're finally on our way. We're selling a third of our books on Amazon and clearing clutter from the dark recesses were it likes to hide and multiply. I see a yard sale in our near future.

Running
I have no races on the horizon so I'm making this the summer of Running Free. What does this mean? Each Monday, I plot my fitness plan for the next seven days and I base it on what I want to do, how I want to challenge myself and what I want to accomplish. So far this has resulted in short and fast runs and training dates with Calvin. He went on his second run yesterday morning and finished three miles like a champ - an average pace of 8:43! Go, Calvin!

Yoga
I've been downright addicted to yoga lately. I went to class three nights in a row this week and on Saturday (barring the Rapture, of course) I'm headed to Dallas with some friends and fellow yogis for an Ashtanga class and yoga workshop. Also, the Spiral Diner, which serves the finest vegan food.


Reading
After finishing The Invisible Bridge, I decided to hold off on picking up another book and make a dent in the pile of unread magazines and literary journals currently crowding my coffee table. I'm almost done with the latest issue of Gulf Coast and it. is. great! Reading journals is a source of pleasure, but it's also research - knowing what's being published right now is one of the key steps to getting published myself. The fact that I enjoy and am inspired by this kind of research is just the icing on the cake.

Happy Friday!
Have a great weekend and I'll see y'all on Monday, unless you got Raptured. (Which I don't think will actually happen but it if does I know I'll be left behind. Someone needs to blog about it.) Until then! 

6 comments:

  1. FYI. We don't have to worry about the rapture and you and I will both be here on Sunday. Per rapture theology, only the 144,000 (or whatever #) will be raptured and everyone else gets to stay and deal with the impending doom which will make the world run amok for... well, who knows? I'm hoping I get a nicer car out of the deal... except how many lunatics drive nice cars? 

    ReplyDelete
  2.  Well, as a historian, I think the odds are good that the rapture will not take place this weekend.  There's nothing to indicate this zealot is any more accurate in his calculations than any of the others over the past 2000 years.  But if it does happen I will loot and blog about it.  

    Enjoy your weekend!  And good job Calvin!

    ReplyDelete
  3.  I will be at the beach this weekend with my partner and my parents...if the rapture happens, I doubt I will notice since we will definitely still be here. :) 

    Moving forced us to de-clutter. Except books, I dream of having no possessions except a fully stocked library...one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha!  I will also be left behind :-)  I've also been doing a bit of spring cleaning: I finally hauled away 5 or 6 bags of recyclables, and I donated a box of old clothes and some kitchen knives to some Craigslisters.  Man, it feels great to get rid of all that stuff!

    Happy Friday, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're an inspiration! I did yoga for the first time in a long time yesterday, and I'm SO sore today! I remember how difficult yoga is! Calvin is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the Calvin pics! :)

    ReplyDelete