Monday, May 16, 2011

Wedding Weekend on Long Island

Last Wednesday after work, Nathan and I took the Seamus and Calvin to Dog Paradise (AKA, Amy and David's backyard) and whisked ourselves away to a weekend getaway to New York, which began with a night in Houston. The Houston stop served two purposes - it gave us an excuse to visit our friends Vicki and Jeromy AND it allowed us to catch our 7:30 am flight without waking up at 3:30 and driving two hours to the airport. (Yes, we live two hours from an airport. When I say I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere, I'm not kidding.)

The night in Houston was fun (bars and restaurants and friends!) and in the morning, we got to the airport with plenty of time. This was good, because after snaking our way through a huge security line Nathan realized he had lost his wallet. He did not have a scrap of ID on him - no driver's license, no credit cards, no student ID. Nothing. After a lengthy interview, during which the TSA conferred with the FBI on a phone and asked Nathan a ton of questions ("What cars are registered in your name? Who do you live with? What is your mother's birthday?") they finally let him on the plane. Moral of the story? You can fly anywhere as long as you study hard. (Kidding. The moral is don't drop your wallet behind your car seat at 5:30 in the morning. Lesson learned.)

All of that is to say we made it to New York and it was a good thing we were not held up in Houston, because we had a wedding to attend! One of my good friends from high school was getting hitched on Saturday and as Carla is about as crazy as they come (in a good way!) it was an event I did not want to miss. Naturally, I took photos. 


Carla and Sean got married in the Catholic church I attended growing up, which was a surreal experience. These two actually met in an online forum for people with lots of tattoos - Carla's are covered up in this photo, but fear not - she had a second dress for the reception which showed them off properly.


The lovely wedding party. I like weddings where the bridesmaids are asked to wear whatever they want as long as it's a certain color - it lets the bridesmaids retain their individuality (as you can see, in this group there was a lot of that!) and allows them to buy a dress they'll actually wear again.) In this wedding, that color was black with green accents. Tattoos were optional. ;)


Me and my three closest girlfriends from high school. From left to right: Allie, me, Carla and Abby. I don't talk to many people from high school so I consider myself very lucky to count these ladies among my dearest to this day. Even though it's been over ten years since we've lived in the same state, every time I go home it's like I never left. I like friendships where you can pick up right where you left off, no matter how much time and distance has come between you.


Nathan and I often go by "Henneward," because it combines both our last names. We get mail addressed to the Hennewards, our dogs are listed by the last name Henneward, and now we get place cards at weddings as the Hennewards. Too far? Maybe, but that doesn't bother us. (Side note: if/when we get married, I do not plan on changing my name, no matter how catchy Henneward may be. More on that some other time.)


And speaking of the Hennewards! Here I am, all dressed up. My sister attempted to curl my hair, which lasted about 45 minutes. Nathan, on the other hand, is unshaven and unshowered, as he spent the night in the city with his man friends while I shopped til I dropped on Long Island with my mom and sister. I picked him up at the train station a half hour before the ceremony started and he was hung over and running on about three hours of sleep. Boys.

After the church ceremony, we drove about twenty minutes down the road to the country club where the reception was taking place. It was a very nice party - cocktail hour (hello, mimosas!), DJ and plenty of dancing, and all the traditions that make a wedding, well - a wedding! Cake in the face, sit down dinner, getting buzzed at three in the afternoon, dancing awkwardly with somebody else's Aunt. I loved it and had a great time. I always do!


And here's a photo of Carla's second dress that I nabbed from Facebook - apparently I was too busy drinking mimosas and dancing to actually take any photos during the reception.

In addition to the wedding festivities, I got to spend lots of time with my mom and youngest sister, a rare opportunity for which I'm always grateful. Living so far from my family is hard, but we're very good at making up for lost time.

Now I'm back in Nacogdoches, back at work, and trying my best to recover from the fun-filled travels of the last five days. Regularly scheduled blogging will resume tomorrow, as will eating vegetables and exercising in general. Until then!

13 comments:

  1.  You look so cute! I love that the bride is wearing Converse sneaks too. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I find their story about meeting on-line so charming!  And that last picture is adorable--I'm glad you stole it to share with us ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Henneward--how funny!  My boyfriend and I do the same thing, but we purposefully combined it to make the most awful name: Manpern.

    Fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4.  She is so stinking cute! She looks like Alexis Bledel. You too, look very pretty! Sounds like it was a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun weekend, and I agree that Hennessey is definitely too good a name to give up!

    ReplyDelete
  6.  What a great weekend!  Between catching up with old friends, celebrating the marriage, and getting to spend time with your family, it doesn't sound like it could have been much better.  So glad you guys made it off the ground in Houston!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They were embroidered with her new name on the side! It was adorable. 

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought it was a cute story too. I love "how we met" stories. I should write Nathan's and mine one day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! I felt very pretty, even though I think I look weird in the photos. Like that Ani lyric: "I don't take good photos because I have the kind of beauty that moves." Or so I like to think. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! I knew you would understand! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me too! Surprisingly, the interview he got leaving New York was much shorter. Go figure. 

    ReplyDelete
  12.  It looks like a very fun wedding!  I'm also a fan of picking a color and letting your attendants go to town with it.  

    ReplyDelete