Tuesday, June 07, 2011

CSA Slow Spring Soup


I'm a huge fan of our CSA - I love getting big baskets of fresh produce every week, including things I've never heard of and have no idea how to prepare. (Kohlrabi, anyone?) Our CSA membership, however, has not been without it's challenges. The main issue we have? Traveling a lot on the weekends and watching as our bounty wilts in the refrigerator. Last week I had a lot of things taking up space and going soft - mainly potatoes, carrots and one big, beautiful, green cabbage. I knew I had to act quickly in order to save this treasure.


After mulling over my produce for a few minutes, the answer was clear: soup. Simple, easy, and the best way I know to cram a ton of vegetables into one bowl. I decided to make this soup in the crockpot which is ridiculously easy - saute some veggies, place in crockpot, cook on low while you're slaving away at work and voila - dinner is ready and waiting! Most crockpot recipes I've seen recommend eight hours of cooking but I've found that results in a more bland meal. I think six hours is just right - you can still taste the individual veggies and there's a little bite to the soup, which is just the way I like it.

I used what I had on hand to make this springy soup, but you can really throw whatever veggies you have into the pot. I wish I had used more garlic, but that's because I'm a garlic fiend. Four cloves is probably fine for normal people.


CSA Slow Spring Soup

You will need:
1 head of cabbage, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 large potatoes, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups of vegetable broth
1 tsp thyme
1 can white beans

Directions: 
In a pan over medium-high heat, saute the onions, carrots, garlic and thyme until slightly softened and fragrant - about five minutes.

Put everything in the crock pot, turn on low, and cook for 6-8 hours.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. This made my tummy gurgle. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!  I think I'll have to make this for myself and have it for lunches sometime soon.  Incidentally, can one really ever get enough garlic?  

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks good. gotta love crockpot recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scarlettelliewood1:22 PM, June 07, 2011

    Looks great and I'm gonna try it, but I don´t have a crockpot:(( Can I just slow simmer for an evening. BTW I love your recipe posts and they always inspire to get on the healthy train for the week. 

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you like my recipe posts! I'm not a gourmet chef by any means, but sometimes it's nice to get meal ideas from real, busy, non-professional eaters!

    As for not making this in a crockpot: I actually prefer soups cooked at a slow simmer on the stovetop. I feel like the flavors are more developed, whereas the crockpot tends to wash some of that nuance out. That said, a slightly bland soup is an okay trade off for dinner being ready when you get home!

    As for converting crockpot recipes to the stove, I found a little chart here that is handy: http://nutritionknowhow.org/wordpress/?p=1026

    Basically, for this recipe simmering for about 45 minutes should do the trick. Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete