Friday, June 24, 2011

Friday +/-

I haven't done a Friday +/- post in a while, but Rose-Anne did one on Thursday, reminding me how much I enjoy looking back on my week in list form. Thank you, Rose-Anne!

First, the not-so-good: 

- Running has been so hard lately. The heat and humidity are a soul-crushing combination. Today, I finally broke four miles by clocking five, except I had to take multiple walking breaks. Hard to believe that just a few months ago I was running a marathon at a faster pace than my recent short runs. Summer: you suck.

- I really can't think of any downsides to this week. That is a very nice feeling.

Amy takes the best photos of me!

And now for the perfectly lovely: 

+ We appear to have a buyer for our apartment! One person offered the asking price, which was firm. We showed the apartment to another person last night anyway, just in case. This second person liked the place so much that she offered to pay more than the asking price, and in cash! We couldn't really say no to that - the closing will happen much faster, which means we won't have to put off our move date to Wilmington. AND because we've been paying the mortgage for six years, we stand to make a nice chunk of change off the sale. Now I understand why people prefer to buy instead of rent - when you move, you can get some of your money back. (Of course, selling an apartment is much easier than selling a house. People selling homes right now are not quite as lucky as we are.) Our buyer is going to try to get the inspection done today and since there's nothing wrong with our place, I expect it to go well. I won't feel completely at ease until all the paperwork is done and the sale is final, but I'm feeling a hundred times better about the process than I was. Whew!

+ On Wednesday night, some friends decided to host the inaugural Backyard Happy Hour. Cheaper than going out for drinks and just as fun! We enjoyed the evening air, snacked on guacamole and chips (which turned soggy from the humidity in about fifteen minutes), and generally had a great time. I can't wait to do it again, every week until we leave.

+ Even though my five miles were terrible and awful and painful and slow, I still finished them. You know who's going to be an awesome runner come fall? This girl!

+ I'm taking the afternoon off so I can have a long lunch with my lady friends, get a much needed hair cut, buy a birthday gift for one of my favorite people, and get my weekend started early. All in all, I'd say it's been an excellent week. How was yours?

6 comments:

  1. It's a good feeling when the +'s outweigh the -'s twice-over and then some! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, super congrats on getting the offers!  Send some karma this way for the condo G is selling!  And that backyard happy hour sounds awesome.  Enjoy your afternoon off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for the +/- list!  It's a nice way to share your week on the blog--maximum fun without too much effort :-)
    That is terrific news about your home sale.  That must feel like good momentum pushing you toward NC, though I'll miss sharing stories about Texas with you.
    And by the way, you are super-cute.  I love the picture!
    (As an aside, I have to confess that I also had a hard time figuring out my not-so-goods.  I didn't want to complain about being so busy, the hot weather, etc. because YAWN, right?  Bo-ring!  So hurray for good weeks and busy lives and blog friends :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome awesome awesome news on the condo. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the condo!!

    My week has been good. Friday has been busy, but I'm celebrating my 3rd wedding anniversary tonight! Whee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in the same boat with running lately. Hot, humid, slow, miserable, frustrating...all of these words pretty much sum up my recent mileage. I set out to run 11 miles this morning, BARELY made it through four before I decided I'd be rescheduling my long run to Sunday. South Carolina = not a runner's paradise in the summer.

    Congrats on selling your apartment! I'm in real estate, and my bank accounts and I can assure you it's no picnic to try to sell houses right now.

    ReplyDelete