Monday, June 06, 2011

A Haphazard Moving Plan

First things first: thank you for all your kind, sweet comments on my last post! I was blown away by how many of you took the time to congratulate me and express how excited you are on my behalf. The truth is, I'm more than a little nervous about being in an MFA program. What if I get there and can't write anything? What if I turn in my first story and everyone thinks it sucks? What if no one wants to be my friend? But your comments helped ease those fears, at least for now. Thank you - I appreciate each of you more than I can express. I hope I'll make you all proud. Also, we will have a guest bed and plan to register with CouchSurfing, so come on down (or up, or over, whatever the case may be).

In the meantime, we still have roughly seven weeks left in Texas and my plan is to take advantage of every possible moment. Is there a party tonight? I will see you there. Someone is going to the lake? I'll get my bathing suit. Do want to have beers on the porch? Ha! I'm already outside your front door! I'm not exaggerating when I say that the friends I have made in Nacogdoches are irreplaceable and that the thought of leaving them breaks my heart. My main goal for the next two months is to spend as much quality time with them as possible. That, and pack.

It begins...

Our current moving plan goes like this: slowly sort through every worldly possession we own. Figure out what we're bringing, what we're selling at our yard sale, and what we're donating. Have a yard sale and get rid of just about all our furniture (most of it acquired for free or found on the side of the road). Rent a moving truck and fill it with whatever is left.

When we leave town (*sob*) Nathan will drive the truck and the dogs and I will follow in the car. It will take us two days to get to Wilmington, at which point we will sleep (in a tent? in a hotel? who knows!) and then in the morning, we will find a place to live. I'm crossing my fingers, toes and eyes that we'll find a place by the end of the day. Mostly because we'll have to return the moving truck and it's hard to be homeless when you have all your worldly possessions and two giant dogs to worry about.

Seamus is concerned.

If this sounds like a haphazard plan that relies an awful lot on luck and karma and the universe's goodwill, that's because it most definitely is. I am a Planner - I like to know what we'll have for dinner by breakfast. The idea of not knowing where we'll be sleeping or how long it will take us to find a place is unnerving, to say the least. I am, however, a generally lucky person. Things work out for me. I trust the universe. I'm still keeping everything crossed, of course, but deep down I have a feeling that it will all work out just fine.

But if you want to cross your fingers too, I'd be grateful.

16 comments:

  1. Definitely crossing fingers. Let us know if you need help with anything. Some storage place in our house, if you need it - (and don't worry - no more inside cats at the Happy Chappy House!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adventure! If I've learned anything, it's that you have more "misc." than you think you have, so packing early is the BEST idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally missed this news since I was on vacation and (mostly) unplugged last week. Congrats!  Texas will miss you. And everything will turn out fine...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know! Thanks, Erica! (And this is the main reason we can't come to your wedding. We'll have just moved! Sad face.) 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truth! I am already amazed at the amount of stuff I have been hoarding. And here I thought I was a minimalist! Sigh. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, lady! Glad you're back in the loop. Also, it turns out the Cape Fear Roller Girls of Wilmington just got accepted into WFTDA last week. Hmm.... ;) 

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my--such big changes and such a big move! How totally exciting. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I agree with you: have faith that things will work out!  There will be bad writing days, bad teaching days, and other challenges, but I think the good days will outweigh the bad.  You can do this!

    And about the move: no time to sign a lease before you move?  I'm sure you'll find a place when you get there--I signed the lease for my current place only a month before I moved in.  And the lease started more than a week before I arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crossed. Good Luck. This is all very exciting. You will find a place. It doesn't take much for two pups to be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What?  I better catch up!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yay! so excited for you two. changes are fun. & you'll write splendidly & make friends quick, i know it. 
    can you look into renting a place through an agency that has month-to-month leases before you go? move in right when you get there, but be able to move again when you find your dream place? another option is to know ahead of time what storage place you'll drop your stuff off at if you can't find a house right away. then you'll be free to camp or whatever until the right place turns up.
    yay! again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, I am so, so excited for you my dear!!! I love the excitement that goes with moving. I hope to couch surf at your place : ). Wish I was there to help you. Miss you tons.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are wary about renting a place sight unseen. We are very particular! Since it's a college town I'm hopeful there will be a lot of openings around the time when we get there. 

    ReplyDelete
  14. A month-to-month lease would probably be a smart thing to do, but I really want to be settled into a new place before the semester starts and we'll only have about three weeks. I do have a few contacts in Wilmington already (fellow students, one transplant from Nac) so if I have to, I might beg to dump my stuff in their backyard for a week or two. Not the first impression I was hoping for, but desperate times! 

    ReplyDelete
  15. PLEASE COUCH SURF WITH US PLEASE! We will be near the ocean. I know you love the ocean! 

    ReplyDelete