Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Fourth of July Weekend

Hello, Internet! My long weekend is over, my self-imposed blogging hiatus has ended, and I am here to sum up the last few days for you as briefly as possible. Photos will help with that.



On Saturday, our friend Dan showed up on his motorcycle, by way of New Mexico. The area where he lives was covered in smoke from the wildfires and decided to take us up on our offer for a visit. Dan is very laid back and an excellent house guest - he dotes on my dogs and compliments my cooking, which means he can stay as long as he likes. Because we had a house guest, we were extra social - there was a night of beers on Amy's porch, an evening of board games and wine, a trip the lake with the dogs, and finally a Fourth of July bike parade and the Nacogdoches Freedom Fest for fireworks. Everything we did was small-town-style, which is often the best way to do things. Which is lucky, since here it's also the only way! 

I took this photo with my iPhone, while riding my bike. Dangerous! Also: impressive!

This was a really good weekend, and not just because it was four days long. When I have time off from work, I try and cram in everything I've been putting off - I'll edit the stories that have been sitting on my laptop for too long, we'll fix all the things in the house that need fixing, I'll run many miles every day and go to yoga every night and there will be healthy, balanced meals three times a day. This is how I expected to spend the Fourth of July vacation - completing a long list of mostly enjoyable activities, reveling in my productivity.

And then Dan showed up and I decided that it was more important to be a good hostess. It was more important to spend time with my friends before our move. It more important to read a book and take a nap in the middle of the day, and take the dogs to the lake, and watch the worst movie in the world when it was too hot to go outside, and drink two extra glasses of wine even though I definitely didn't need them. This weekend, I did not run any miles or go to any yoga classes (though I only skipped one day of the Shred - otherwise, Dan and Nathan did it with me, which was awesome and hysterical). I didn't write, but I did read for pleasure. I ate healthy meals, but I drank too much alcohol. I found a balance without realizing how badly I needed one.

Oh, and I baked a blueberry pie. 


Definitely an excellent weekend, and exactly what I needed. I hope the same was true for you!

13 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds like a well spent weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks and sounds like a well spent weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, you're back!  Your weekend sounds lovely and fun-filled, and I'm glad you sorta ditched the fun to-do list in favor of just having fun.  I had to work this weekend, but I ended up working less than I planned, and once I let myself relax a bit, it was really obvious how much I needed to sleep and take a break from work.  Also, making a relaxing to-do list, which sounds like a total Type A thing to do, helped me to really relax.  Maybe it worked because it gave me permission to relax?

    One last thing: I love iPhone photos, and yours is lovely.  I like the hazy, unfocused quality of it. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only thing missing was you! 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, there is definitely a time and a place for the Relaxing To Do List. But when plans change, it is good to be able to adapt and still have fun. I'm getting there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that the boys did the shred with you - I adore good natured people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your weekend sounds brilliant!  I hope you'll post the recipe for the blueberry pie that you made.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my--I love your fireworks and pie photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. based on your glowing recommendation from twitter we watched that movie the other night. WHY IN GODS NAME DID THEY NOT ZIP THEIR COATS ALL THE WAY UP AND COVER THE BOTTOM HALF OF THEIR FACES? also, the one dude never even put his hood up. &, then, ya know, there were those totally realistic wolf pack attacks, including one in broad daylight on a barely injured person. which implies skiers must have been eaten there all the time, so really it shouldn't have come as a surprise to them that it was a mountain of death.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much! If you have an iPhone, get the free app Instagram. It makes every photo artsy and cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I am SO GLAD you watched this TERRIBLE TERRIBLE movie! I don't understand how a movie could be both unbelievably ridiculous and unbearably stressful at the same time. Mountain of Death. Yes. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. seriously. i yelled at the screen due to ridiculousness but also felt like i was gonna throw up. have you seen open water? if not, don't. i think you would hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have not seen it, and I know I would hate it, but I might watch it anyway. I'm crazy! ;)

    ReplyDelete