Monday, July 18, 2011

Housecooling Party

Friday was my and Nathan’s last days at work, but today is the first time that has felt real. I woke up today (slightly hungover – see the rest of this post), took the dogs for a leisurely walk, ate breakfast and made coffee and then retired to my home office (currently in half-packed shambles) and started writing this post. As my blog is currently my sole, if meager, source of income, it only seemed right.


We still have a week and change left in lovely Nacogdoches, and our plan is to spent the next ten days packing, cleaning and saying long, drawn out goodbyes. We started this process last night, at the housecooling party that my dear friends Mary and Chay organized and hosted on our behalf. Have you ever been to a housecooling party? Last night was my first, and the basic idea is that it’s a going away party to which each guest brings an empty box. And as a person currently fitting her life into various boxes, let me just state for the record that this is a brilliant idea! Outside of the boxes, the party was the usual affair – tons of good food, great friends and a delicious keg of beer, which we actually floated. I don’t think we’ve managed to float a keg since we were undergrads!



Scott and Chay's backyard made a great party location. An air-conditioned art studio, tons of seating, a plastic swimming pool for the kids, and most of my favorite people. You can't get much better than that.


We had a Tex-Mex themed spread. In addition to being incredibly attractive, highly intelligent and perfectly compassionate, my friends are also fantastic cooks. I contributed a black bean and corn salad - I'll post the recipe tomorrow.



Baby Andrew filled up on mud pies, as he was too young to partake in the keg. He seemed to enjoy the mud thoroughly, so I think it worked out.


As good as Andrew made the mud look, I opted for beer and veggie fajitas smothered in guacamole. I could eat this all day, every day, for the rest of my life.


We partied until the sun went down which, in the summer, is actually pretty late. Such a wonderful night!

This party only further proved to me just how special my friends in Texas are. No, really. You will not find better, kinder, more thoughtful and giving people, no matter where you look. I have one regret as far as this move to North Carolina goes, and it is that I cannot bring all of these wonderful people with me. It’s a shame, I tell you. A damn shame.


Today, Nathan and I begin the work of packing, cleaning and getting ready for the move. I have laundry to catch up on, a pantry of food to eat, a couch to get rid of, and two dogs who are beginning to suspect that something is up. It’s going to be an interesting week. I hope you’ll all come along for the ride.

4 comments:

  1. Awww shucks! Glad you got to sleep in on a Monday, though. Envious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A housecooling party!  How awesome is that! 

    It seems pretty clear that one thing is certain: Texas is going to miss you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That party looks awesome! I'm sure you will be missed!

    I hope you have better packing stamina than I so that you don't just end up throwing things in boxes labeled "misc."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wholeheartedly agree that Texans are the best. They just are. And I hope your move goes smoothly :)

    ReplyDelete