Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Moving Out, Moving On!

I am writing this blog post from my friend Amy's house, where I will be living until this Sunday, when Nathan and I will be waking up bright and early and moving to North Carolina. But first: we had to move out of our apartment.

One last look at our apartment on Pearl Street.

A lot has happened on the home front, and it seems I've forgotten to blog about much of it. I think I mentioned that we sold our apartment ridiculously fast, and for a tidy little profit. This was the first big obstacle to moving to Wilmington and getting it taken care of was a huge relief.

We quit our jobs on July 15 and since then, we have spent every spare moment packing, cleaning, packing, fixing things and packing some more. Throw in a few teary goodbyes to friends we won't see again for who knows how long and it's been an emotional roller coaster. Today, we finally finished moving out and handed the keys over to the new owners. I hope they enjoy the place as much as we did.

But, you are asking, if you're all moved out of your apartment, why are you still in Texas? Because, dear Reader, we actually found a suitable-looking place in North Carolina, signed a twelve month lease having never seen the place in person, and are moving in next Tuesday, August 2. Since we had a week between moving out and moving in, we brought our boxes, furniture and dogs to Amy and David's, piled them in a spare room, and will be living here for a few days until it's time to leave for good. Twice the moving, twice the fun? Sure. Why not?

Now, about the new place. The original plan was to drive up to North Carolina today and find a home upon arrival. I didn't love this plan because, well, it wasn't much of a plan. The odds of finding a house for rent, that accepted two 100 pound dogs and fulfilled most of our wants and needs weren't very good. I'd spent the last four months combing Craigslist for houses and finding decent ones, only to see them snatched up by other people again and again. And so, when I came across a house last week that seemed perfect on paper, I immediately asked for an application and sent it in. The woman who owned the house was kind enough to take a chance on us and just like that - we had a house!


I have a few photos that the landlady sent me but they aren't the best quality. Still, I can't help but share them. I'm excited to see this place in person and I hope it's as great as it seems in photos.


The house was built in the 1950's and has a large, fenced in yard with a driveway that comes up the back and leads to a carport. We'll keep the motorcycle and scooter in the carport, since they're most susceptible to the elements. The front of the house is also really cute but I'm torn about posting it for safety reasons. I might get over that later on, but for now I'm playing it safe.


There's a living room and a den and hardwood floors throughout the house. There's also a kitchen, a laundry room and two bedrooms, none of which I've seen photos of. Fingers crossed that they aren't terrible. If they are, well, I'll just spent most of my time in the backyard.


This is a screened-in porch off the side of the house. The carport is located behind it. I am pretty excited about this part of the house, because it seems like a lovely place to drink wine, listen to the rain and read books. It also looks like a good spot for a food photography station - great lighting!


We'll only have one bathroom, which is a downside, but at least it's a cute one! Seriously - some of the bathrooms I saw on Craigslist made outhouses look really, really fancy. This one seems downright swanky in comparison.



The backyard. This is the part of the house that hooked me. It looks pretty big on Google Maps - about half an acre - and is also includes a storage shed with electricity, which shall be Nathan's workshop. No tools in the closet? Yessssss. We want to have a sitting area and some garden beds, and of course there will be plenty of room for the dogs to run and play. This house is also a mile walk from the dog park, so I'm pretty sure my pups will think they've died and gone to heaven.

Now that you've seen the photos, you know as much as I do. I've never rented a place without seeing it so I'm a little nervous, but not nearly as agitated as when I thought we were going to be homeless in Wilmington for who knows how long while we searched for a place to live. I have a good feeling about this place and I'm pretty sure it will work out just fine, because I'm an optimist and I'm generally lucky. And if we arrive and it's terrible, well, it's only for a year.

When was the last time you moved? Do you like moving or do you dread it with every fiber of your being? I like having a new space to set up and I love getting rid of stuff, but this is the first time we've moved in six years and it was definitely a lot of work. I'm glad we get a break before Moving: Part Two. We've earned it.

27 comments:

  1. Oh yay, congrats on finding a house!  It does look super cute and that yard is amazing--I know the pups will love it!  

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boyfriend and I just moved last week after living in our old place for over three and a half years. I feel the same way as you do - it was a lot of stress and work, and it was so hot and humid (Minnesota was the most humid place in the Western Hemisphere last week). This was a particularly exciting move for us because we moved into an artist loft, more than doubled our square footage, and got lots of new amenities that we were lacking before. Good luck with part 2!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new place looks great!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your move.  It's a LONG drive from Texas to North Carolina!

    Oh, moving.  I am a frazzled, unhappy mover.  I moved to Texas in October 2009, and I think that September and October of that year were some of the hardest months of my life.  It was more than just the move, but I look back at that time and feel amazed that I made it through those stressful weeks of packing, relocation, and unpacking.  I feel tired just thinking about it now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even with the pixelated photos, the new place looks AMAZING! The pups are going to love it. I last moved around two months ago and when I stop twitching I'll let you know... No really, I'm split. The moving itself SUCKS, but the newness and fresh start feeling I get every time makes it worth it. 

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate that you are moving and wish I could tell you to knock it off. However, I cannot wait to read about your new adventures and how you'll spruce up your new digs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exactly. And if the pups are happy, then I'm happy. It doesn't take much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Part two is the more exciting part - moving half way across the country is a lot more daunting than moving down the street. I am looking forward to it though. I can't wait to decorate! :)

    Congrats on your new place! Moving out, moving on, and moving UP! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The last time I really moved was from New York to Texas and all my belongings fit into a minivan. I had nothing and it really wasn't hard to move at all. Now I'm pretty much a grown up with a fairly full life, and that is a lot harder to move! 

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! I'm most excited to move into a house. We have definitely outgrown the whole apartment thing. I can't wait to have SPACE! There is even an attic with storage. Now to keep Nathan from filling it up with apocalypse survival tools. 

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of those two rooms will be a guest room. I expect you to take advantage of it. 

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe you got so many things on your wish list. Way to go. 

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bridey Hennessey2:04 AM, July 27, 2011

    Your new place looks awesome, good luck with the move part two! I'm not a fan of moving, but that might be becuase in the last 10 years I've moved 10 times, half of those with a piano! Hopefully we'll be staying put for a while now though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The new place looks great from the pictures, and I hope it is just as fantastic in reality! It must have been such a relief to find a house.

    I have moved 13 times in the last ten years, so I was pretty happy to be staying put this summer instead of packing everything up again.  Our place isn't perfect, but it didn't seem worth the hassle and cost to move house again right now for somewhere we'd only be likely to be for a year or two.  

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hate moving...and yet, each year in a place, I get the itch again. 
    I recently moved into a large city...and i'm really liking the culture and art and (well, everything a small town such as the one i left is lacking in).
    I have only been to North Carolina a few times, but I am quite sure you will enjoy the weather after having experienced Texas. Urgh...it's too hot here!!!
    Your new house looks amazing and i think it will be a wonderful change of pace :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on finding a house. Good luck on your move! Last time I moved was when I moved in with John. it was a little scary but ended up being worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have only had to make one big move, but I enjoyed the fresh start aspect of it all!

    To me, it feels like the beginning of a great new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just found your blog by accident, but as a military spouse (read: move every three-ish years), you get really good at choosing houses without seeing them. We actually just arrived in Georgia (yay!) from Oklahoma (gag), and I grew up in TX, so understand that it is different out here, but a most wonderful type of different. You'll do great, and your house looks to be wonderful and charming! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know! It seems too good to be true! I hope it's not. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. 10 times in 10 years?! I think you deserve a break. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! I think you win for most moves. I can't imagine moving that often - does it make you more of a minimalist? This is our first move in six years and I feel like we have way too much stuff. 

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like having a new space to play with. I usually just change out the curtains or move around the furniture. I think this move will be a good experience for us on a lot of levels. And yes, the cooler weather will be a welcome change! 

    ReplyDelete
  22. Definitely worth it! You got two pups out of the deal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. A great new adventure. I like the sound of that!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Welcome, Steph! Thanks for commenting. :) I'm glad other people choose houses without seeing them, too. Having a place to move INTO is making the process a million times easier. I hope you're enjoying Georgia! It looks like a lovely place. 

    ReplyDelete
  25. It did for a while when I was moving from the US to Madrid and back. I only owned my bed, pots, pans, dishes, a bike, and clothes -- almost all of those things were in storage for two years.  When I moved in with M., we started to accumulate a lot more stuff.  We downsized at the last move, but bought new furniture when we arrived on the other side.  

    ReplyDelete
  26. The last time I moved out was when I got married. I never knew searching for houses and packing things can be that hard!  But it all paid off in the end.  Anyway, your current apartment looks nice. I hope you enjoy your new place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm jealous that you were able to sell your apartment. and super jealous that you sold it for a profit.

    ReplyDelete