Friday, July 22, 2011

Seven Links

Happy Friday, y'all! It is Friday, right? The days sort of bleed together when all you do is pack and drink mimosas.

Instead of regaling you with more photos of brown boxes, I thought I would steal an idea I saw Caitlin from Healthy Tipping Point post earlier this week. It originally comes from the Trip Base Blog and it's a pretty neat way to share some posts that might be lost in the archives. And considering I've been posting here since 2005, that's a lot of archives! To take part in the meme, one must identify a post for each of the following categories. And so, without further ado:

My most beautiful post is hard to choose. Not because I have so many beautiful posts, but because my blog is more about the beauty of every day things. Still, a post that was important to me, and that taught me a great lesson about life, was In Which I Fail - For Now. After six weeks of training for a century bike ride, I decided to give up the goal and forgo the race. Giving up is never easy, especially for someone as ambitious as myself, but it was definitely the right choice.


My most popular post is my race report for last year's Warrior Dash. It contains a bunch of photos of me covered in mud and people jumping over fire, which is pretty exciting. But my most commented on post is The Big Reveal, wherein I finally tell you all about my MFA acceptance and move to North Carolina! (Here is a secret: sometimes I reread those comments when I'm feeling down, and they never fail to lift me up. Blogs FTW!)

My most controversial post is probably the one in which I didn't take part in a local race due to the "charity" that the race supported. Despite being a radical feminist and super liberal to boot, politics don't take up a lot of space on my blog. I aim to live my life as an example instead of on a soap box. Sometimes, however, you have to climb up on that box and make your voice heard.


My most helpful post is, in my humble opinion, Submitting to Literary Journals: A Beginner's Guide. I had a few emails asking me for advice on this topic and spent a lot of time crafting this post with all the knowledge that I've gathered over the years from magazines, articles, professors and the Internet. Even though this post only has one comment, it gets a lot of hits. I hope it's helping the people who are reading it!


A post whose success surprised me was my Kitchen Makeover and Tour post. I'm no Young House Love and our updates were the culmination of six years of improvements, but I have to say - our kitchen looked pretty slamming by the time we were done. This post is especially bittersweet since we're about to leave our current apartment. Sniff...



A post I feel didn’t get the attention it deserved
is The Problem With Eggs, in which I tried to hash out my moral line in the sand as far as veganism goes. I have many veg-minded and foodie-leaning readers and I was honestly surprised that this post didn't kick off a bigger discussion. (I've since started eating local eggs from small farms, in case you were wondering.)

The post that I'm most proud
of is all of them! Cop-out? Maybe. The truth is that it's hard to pick one post from six years of stories. My blog has changed so much over the years and I love the record that it has kept. It's fun to look back at myself at 22, 24, 26, and read what I was thinking, feeling and doing. Sometimes it's embarrassing, sometimes I wonder what I was so worked up about, sometimes I wish I hadn't posted quite so much personal information. But I never regret any of it. This blog is my story and I am honored and proud to share it with anyone who cares to read - especially you. :)

You're supposed to tag five bloggers to write their own seven link list. I'm cheating, since I wasn't tagged in the first place, but I'm going to tag some of my favorites anyway.

1. Effing the Ineffable (Kate is smart, funny and eerily similar to myself)
2. Life, Love and Food (Rose-Anne's photos are almost as beautiful as her writing)
3. Never Niche (Claire refuses to be put in a blogging box and so do I)
4. Eating Appalachia (Jes is a fellow MFA-er and has a great food philosophy)
5. Kohler Created (Jessica puts my recipes to shame and has a great sense of humor on Twitter)

If you write a seven links post, leave a link here so I can read it. Have a great weekend!

9 comments:

  1. I like this post. My first Warrior Dash is coming up next month and I've been really nervous.  This helped :)  All I can say about the eggs post is that I had a geology professor refer to eggs as "liquid chicken" one day and have never been able to get that out of my head.  I've read many great arguments on consuming them and am still undecided as a vegan.  A friend of mine did make a traditional potato salad for July 4th weekend and I hate 2 bowls.  I also got really sick during the night, but who knows if it was the egg or mayo.  We all have to do what is right for us and that is what I believe in the most :) 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yay! I kept seeing this meme around and thinking I was going to just do it myself even though no one had tagged me, but now you have! So now I will get to it post haste. 

    I am currently looking around for a local egg provider myself, as it happens. If i can find one that seems good (maybe I'll go interview the chickens?) I am considering getting some eggs. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the egg post--it was one of the biggest thought-points for me in my switch to non-vegan.  I obviously have leaned a little more the other way away from veganism than I want to, but now that I'm starting to get settled into my new temporary kitchen, I have time and the tools to cook.  Such a tangled mess!  Anyways, this is a cool little link post and I'll definitely have to wrack through my posts and figure out what's what.  Maybe it'll jumpstart me getting back into regular blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a neat idea!  Chrissy, you have the best blogging prompts, which tells me that someday you are going to make a great writing teacher.  I am tickled to have been tagged! 

    It's funny to see what's "popular" through comments and "popular" through hits.  I wonder how often those lists match up with each other for different blogs!  But I think what interests me the most are the posts that are most significant for the writer--that's where the stories are.

    Happy weekend, my dear. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will love the Warrior Dash! It's lots of fun and not super hard. Mostly muddy. And mud is good!

    I agree with you about doing what is right for each of us. We're all unique individuals and there is no one "right way" that will suit everyone. I think just being conscious, considerate and thoughtful in our actions is enough. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I can't wait to read your post.

    Interviewing the chickens seems like an egg-cellent idea. Har, har! 

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's hard to dig through posts and find ones that fit each category. But it's also a fun excuse to look back and read through old posts.

    And I think it's perfectly fine - and even necessary - to allow yourself to change and evolve as time goes on. As long as we're making conscious choices, for whatever reason, then I think we're on the right path. 

    ReplyDelete
  8. I often wonder about the posts that get a lot of hits but not too many comments. I notice that my recipe posts get the most hits, which is funny because I don't really consider myself a food blogger.

    Blogging is so interesting, isn't it? Have you used Blogger in Draft before? They upgraded it and the stats features are really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to do this, thanks for tagging me! I'm on vacation now but promise to get to it later this week. <3

    ReplyDelete