Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Simple Black Bean and Corn Salad


For our Tex-Mex themed housecooling party this past weekend, I made a triple batch of Black Bean and Corn salad. It's a ridiculously easy, super pretty and downright delicious dish that takes minimal effort and is the perfect party food. Quick to assemble, no cooking required and vegan and gluten-free by default. Everyone can enjoy this dish, and everyone usually does!

I like to eat it with tortilla chips, as a dip, but it's also wonderful as a fajita topper, mixed in with your morning eggs for some Southwestern flair,  or warmed up and served as a side dish. Or you could eat it straight out of the bowl with a spoon, which, if we're being honest, is my preferred method.


Simple Black Bean and Corn Salad

You will need: 
1 15oz can corn, drained
1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 whole plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 medium red onion, chopped
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 tsp salt

Directions:

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Cover and chill until ready to serve.


Speaking of recipes and cooking, this is the current state of my pantry. I have just about one week to use up as much of this food as possible. I have a plan for about half of it - the other half should yield some interesting meals. Fingers crossed, y'all!

On today's agenda: finish packing up and deep cleaning the office (which was the room with the most stuff in it) and box up our books. Lots to do and I should probably get to it, but first I must share with you one of the best going-away presents ever. My dear friend Ruby is a tattoo artist, a cancer survivor, a professional whistler and one of the best ex-roller derby girls you'll ever meet. At the party on Saturday, she gave me a zine she had illustrated and bound herself earlier that day. It was awesome and I will treasure it always. Here are a few of my favorite pages.




I told you I had the best friends in the world. I wasn't kidding.

Now: back to work!

6 comments:

  1. Love the salad!  Looks perfect for any party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww what a sweet friend! Her illustrations are really cute.

    Will give the black bean & corn salad a try. Simple + delicious = my favorite type of recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. recipes with black beans & corn are always my favorite. i make salsa in a pretty similar way, just also with some red wine vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so sweet!  I love the zine.

    And I am really digging the chop-and-mix approach to cooking these days.  Simple, satisfying, and totally delicious with height-of-summer produce.  I have a few recipes to post on my blog that fall into that category :-)  Summertime cooking is easy to love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, that is such a sweet and thoughtful gift with absolutely beautiful illustrations! You're so lucky to have such wonderful friends :)  

    Last night I made this amazing salad and it was SO DELICIOUS!  Like you, I ate the majority with a spoon, but the rest I piled on crackers and it was just great. So thanks for the recipe! 

    And by the way, I've never commented before, but I've been reading your fantastic blog for about 7 months now and thought it was finally time! 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my God this looks so good and i`m sure that it is delicious too. I think it is a very easy recipe so i will give it a try, thanks a lot for sharing.

    ReplyDelete