Thursday, July 28, 2011

Unemployed Guacamole


I've been quiet on the blog the last few days, and it's mostly because after the stress of moving our whole apartment into Amy and David's house I needed a few days to sit and do... nothing. Okay, not nothing. This week, I have cooked fancy dinners every night for my kindhearted hosts,  gone to many yoga classes (including a two in one day!), set up the utilities in the new place so it won't be dark when we move in, and made one batch of super delicious guacamole.


I love guacamole - it's a perfect summer food, as it requires no cooking and goes with almost anything. I had been buying a lot of Wholly Guacamole to feed my craving, but now that I'm unemployed and budgeting big time the price tag on pre-made guac was just too high.  On the bright side, not having anything to do all day means I have more than enough time to whip up some homemade guacamole for lunch. Which is exactly what happened today.


I didn't have a recipe on hand but I took mental notes while I assembled the guacamole. Which is lucky for you, because the Wholly company has got some competition - the guacamole was perfect. I'm drooling just thinking about it.


Unemployed Guacamole

You will need:
2 avocados, quartered, pitted and peeled
1 plum tomato, diced
2 clovers of garlic, minced
1/4 cup of cilantro, minced
juice of one lime
salt, to taste

Directions:
Place the avocado in a large bowl and mash until mostly smooth. (I like my guacamole a little chunky.)

Add the tomato, garlic, cilantro, and lime juice. Mix until well combined. Salt to taste. Enjoy on tortilla chips or by the spoonful.

Here's the rest of my lunch: sweet potato fries and a Southwest Sunshine burger smothered in delicious guacamole. Very filling. Very satisfying. Very good.


Dear leftover guacamole: devouring you is officially my full time job.


12 comments:

  1. Mmm that guac looks amazing!!!  (I'd leave the cilantro out, though, personally) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guac is a constant around our house, like at least every other week. It's so good in everything but especially burritos. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! Sometimes I like mine with a little more kick. When I'm in a hurry for such deliciousness, I drain a can of Rotel and mix it with avocados. If I'm making completely from scratch like you, I add some cayenne pepper instead of salt to taste. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I love Wholly Guacamole too (spicy)...when on sale it can be cheaper than buying avocados, so I buy extra packs and freeze them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my God this looks so good and i`m sure that it is delicious too. I think it is not a very difficult recipe so i will give it a try, thanks a lot for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You probably know this, but the trait of liking or hating cilantro is genetic! I happen to be a lover, but I respect the haters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Cayenne would be a great addition! 

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always buy things that are discounted because they're about to expire (seitan and faux meat products, mostly) and then freeze them for a few weeks until I want them. I... think? ... this makes it so they don't spoil. At any rate, I haven't died yet. 

    ReplyDelete
  9. Let me know what you think! It's easy, delicious AND healthy! Triple threat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. TheDance Theorem8:25 AM, July 31, 2011

    I wish computer screens would have a taste it/eat it option. I begin drooling just by looking at your pics. Great post once again and the best of luck with your move to NC. It's always hard in the beginning, and you keep getting flash backs of your old home, your old self, old things you used to do in those old, familiar places. But it get's better!

    ReplyDelete