Saturday, August 06, 2011

Home Sweet Home: The Before Photos

Hello blog friends! Oh, how I've missed reading, posting and commenting on blogs these last few days. Our Internet still isn't hooked up (AT&T has to first install a pole of some kind, and we don't know how long that will take) and Internet-ing from my phone just isn't the same.

But I'm not going to use my precious coffee shop time to gripe about the Internet. I'm going to use it to share some long-awaited and mostly horrifying photos of our place when we first moved in five days ago. (Has it really only been five days? It seems more like five weeks!) I'm happy to say that we've made a lot of progress on the house by painting the living room, cleaning the Bejesus out of the kitchen and reconstructing the crown molding on the ceilings, and that today I can actually say with a straight face that I like our house. I never would have thought this was possible five days ago. It's been a long week.

While we've improved the rooms, they're all still in progress. I hope to have one or two rooms finished by the end of next week, so you'll have to wait until then for the after photos. For now, enjoy the following pictures. It helps if you try to imagine seeing this in person, after spending two long days on the road and already feeling depressed about leaving your home and all your lovely friends behind. Plus, it looks much worse in person.


This is our guest room. It's pretty small cozy. I think we're going to stick with the color in the bedrooms but give them a fresh coat - the paint is chipped in many places. 


The "master" bedroom is actually the same color as the guest room, but the lighting was weird when I took this photo and it looks more gray than green. The bedrooms are basically just square, missing the shoe molding along the floor, and have about zero closet space. The blinds are also in bad shape - stained, dusty and missing plastic pieces. Oh, well. 


The bathroom, while very small, is actually quite cute and clean. This was a surprise, considering the dirty disaster that was the rest of the house upon our arrival. 


Hallway that leads to both rooms and bathroom. The floor has a square piece that is nailed down to it. I don't know what's down there. I don't think I want to know. I do like that fancy little lighting fixture hanging from the ceiling, but I am not a fan of the glaring bare bulb that it contains. 


When we arrived, the living room and study (which are attached) had been primed but not painted. Which was perfect for us! Our landlady will deduct the cost of paint and we've already finished this job. It looks great - you'll see it soon. I really like the arched doorway here. This is actually my favorite part of the house - it will be super cozy once we have some furniture in it. 


The... pantry? For some reason, all the cabinet spaces smell really dank and musty when you open the doors. Lysol helped, but not enough. I am getting over it and putting things in drawers anyway, but I hold my nose when I open them. 


The dining room, as seen through the kitchen. I am pretty sure that this section of the house was added later, as it is large and strange and out of place. I guess we'll put a table and chairs here when we acquire some/Nathan builds them. The tile on the floor is terrible and the walls are painted an okay blue color. They need a good scrubbing, but that will have to wait until we're totally unpacked. And who knows when that will be. 


The kitchen itself has old, peeling wallpaper that is stained and just straight up missing in some places. I would love to eventually remove it and just paint the walls, but I don't know if that's in my landlady's budget. It's definitely not in mine!


 We drank a lot of wine those first few days. Then we switched to beer.


We have plans to eventually replace the shoe molding. It will make the floors look a lot cleaner.


All the doors look like this on the bottoms. Nasty.


The laundry room. It did not come with a washer or dryer but we got a great deal on a set via Craigslist. I have also cleared that little cabinet of all the garbage it came with. I repeat: nasty!


Here is a close up of the kitchen floor. Really terrible linoleum and a spot where it's been torn. Not sure what to do about that either. Luckily, it's near the backdoor and the dogs are the only ones who really use this entrance/exit. The dogs are more forgiving than I.

So that's the tour of the before! I plan to post more photos room by room as we paint, clean, fix and fill them. So far, our small improvements have already made a big difference and I have high hopes for this house. I will post the laundry room and kitchen next week, so look forward to that. And if you see an typos in this post, I apologize - my battery is about to die and coffee shop patrons are beginning to circle my table like vultures. Plus Lowe's is calling and I must answer.

Until next time!

8 comments:

  1. Miss you, Chrissy. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. instead of adding odors to the weird smelling cabinets, try baking soda sprinkled inside the cabinets.  when the odor is gone then get a couple of oranges and stick cloves in them and leave them in the cabinets.  (I've lived in much nastier.  our rent house was crawling with fleas, so much that we would't unpack until we bombed every room.  )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also immediately thought, "Baking soda!" when I read about the odors.  When I first moved into my Texas apartment, the fridge smelled terrible, and I bought a box of baking soda--worked like a charm.  It's cheap too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe I speak for all your blog friends when I say...

    We miss you too!

    But keep plugging away at that house, lady.  It'll come together, I promise.  And I think all those crappy little things will feel less daunting once you're unpacked and there's a sense that you live in the place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, there's definitely a lot of work to be done, but I'm sure you guys will make it feel homey in no time!  Can't wait to see the "after" photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try getting a cheap rug from Target, like the kind Mom always put in front of the back door to cover up the missing linoleum by the door! It'll work like a charm ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. **That she always put in front of the sink***

    ReplyDelete
  8. This house looks many of the rentals in Nacogdoches.  Really.  I'm sorry you have to live in this.  Think of it as temporary.  :)

    ReplyDelete