Wednesday, August 24, 2011

It Begins




Today marks the first day of the fall semester and the official start of my time as a real, live MFA student. I'm excited, despite the fact that I don't actually have any classes on Wednesdays. That didn't stop me from waking up at 6:30 (even though I didn't go to bed until 1AM), writing 1,000 words of a new story (crap, but aren't all beginnings?) and figuring out what to do with the class I'm teaching tomorrow afternoon.

Did I say teaching? I did! I was lucky enough to snag a spot as a teaching assistant and this semester I'm co-teaching Introduction to Creative Writing along with 12 other TA's. The class meets twice a week - once in a large group a lecture led by the professor, and then again in groups of ten, one of which I'll be solely in charge. I will be facilitating discussions, running workshops and grading my students. It sounds both thrilling and terrifying, and I can't wait to start.

The class I teach tomorrow is actually the first one I'll attend in my MFA career. After that class, I have my class about teaching, to which I am also looking forward. I'll have to wait until next week to see what my fiction workshop and lit class are all about (if a hurricane doesn't wipe us away first, that is) and I'm also really, really excited about those. Are you seeing a theme here?

I was on the phone with my mom a few days ago and she was remembering how, every year on the last day of school, all the kids were thrilled to be done for the summer and celebrating their freedom. Not me. I got off the bus sobbing, because I loved school so much and didn't want it to end.

Some things never change.


16 comments:

  1. You cried? I can totally see that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I was the same way about school!  I totally miss it STILL, so this post made me super excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck to you as you begin teaching and start your MFA program!  I have been teaching for years now, but I still get excited and nervous for the first day of classes.  

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eee, I'm so excited for you!  Keep us posted on how things are going, okay?  I am very curious to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited for you! Congrats!  I would love to be in a Masters of Fine Arts program right now.  It's my dream.  :)  What was your major in undergrad?  Be prepared, I will be living vicariously through you until my time comes to pursue my Master's. 

    ReplyDelete
  7. p.s. It's Kate @ runwithkate.blogspot.com.  I don't know how to leave comments so you know WHICH Kate I am.  :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. True fact. I think I finally broke the habit by middle school. Then I only cried on the inside. 

    ReplyDelete
  9. So the nervousness never ends? Lovely. Just kidding. I'm nervous, but mostly excited. I've been waiting for this day for so long!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I most definitely will. I plan to get back to regular blogging now that the semester is starting and I'll have more of a routine. I am a creature of habit, plus I've missed y'all terribly. 

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kate! Thanks for the comment and the link. That helps me remember who is who. :) I actually got a BA in creative writing from SUNY Purchase back in 2004, but it was my recent writing that helped me get in to schools this time around. If you have any questions or need advice when the time to apply comes, don't hesitate to ask me! I applied two years in a row, to 15 schools in all, so I like to think I'm a bit of an expert. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really wish I could take the class you're teaching :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to hear how the teaching & the learning goes!  Love me some Stegner :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have always loved the beginning of a new school year. A new backpack with so many pockets for thiiiings, color-coded notebooks for classes, a planner just waiting to be filled with assignments. Looooved it!

    ReplyDelete