Tuesday, August 02, 2011

We're Home! Or Something Like That




This was my fortune from our Chinese take out last night. I hope it comes true.

Yesterday's 400 miles went by smoothly and without anything exciting occurring, which is really the best way to drive 400 miles. We pulled up to our new house at about 5pm and bounded out if the car, thrilled to finally see the place we'd signed a 12 month lease on.

Friends, remind me that first impressions aren't everything. There had been some miscommunication so the previous residents were still moving their stuff to their new house, which was next door. The landladies and a friend were furiously cleaning around them. And the house itself was in a state of disarray - it was hard to tell what, exactly, we were dealing with.

After touring the house and holding back tears, we loaded up the dogs and headed to Target. (Side note: the Wilmington Target puts the Lufkin one to shame. To shame!) We ended up spending 300 dollars on cleaning supplies, frozen veggie food, and lots of red wine. Armed with these tools, I felt ready to deal with our new house.

In the light of day, with a slight hangover, it's not so bad. Not what we were expecting, but certainly livable. Today we will paint, clean and unpack and I will begin to feel even better. For now, I am sitting on the back porch and drinking a cup of coffee while I watch the dogs play. So really and truly, I don't have much to complain about. This shall be my new mantra.

Photos and a full run down of our plans just as soon as we get Internet at the house and I am no longer blogging from my phone. Stay tuned!

6 comments:

  1. So happy you guys made it safely and the dogs are loving the backyard!  Something tells me you are going to love this place in no time :)  Thanks for the posts during the move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to North Carolina! I hope you come to like it and your home. Just remember, the beach is right down the road if you need to escape. Though actually spending a day on the beach might be more pleasant when the  temperature drops below 100, an evening stroll on the sand does the spirit good.

    ReplyDelete
  3.  Sitting on your back porch, drinking coffee, and watching the dogs play. Now that sounds lovely and your dream come true. I can't wait to see "before" and "after" photos. I'm sure just a paint job alone will really make that house look sparkly and new. So glad y'all have your feet planted on NC soil and you're all safe and sound. Love you and miss you terribly already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First impressions aren't everything!  Yes indeed.  I'm glad you guys you made it--it may sound strange, but I've been thinking about you a lot as you make your trek east.  Remember that it takes time to settle into a place, so take deep breaths and keep plugging away at the new rental--it will feel like home, eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The "lots of red wine" definitely helps in situations like that!  I'm so glad you made it and I hope everything calms down soon.  But at least you've got Target and it's glorious red wine around :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm glad you made it! & i'm glad you have a place, at least; hopefully you can turn it into something homey & sweet. whenever we've moved into a new house i've always been sort of disappointed on the first day, even having toured them beforehand. there's always things you didn't notice through rose-colored glasses of excitement. but by the second day things always look up & the wonderful things one remembered (even from pictures!) present themselves again.

    ReplyDelete